Chemistry (including Biochemistry)/Lye soap

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

I've been using lye based soap to wash my laundry.  However after a couple of months I noticed my whites had a green hue to it.
In the other hand washing with lye in a plastic bowl and soaking the laundry over night never gave me the green hue for years. It only happened when I started using it in the washing machine.  Could metal tub be the issue?
I have soft water and a filter is installed.

Regards

ANSWER: Hello! Sorry about the lateness of this reply.

Lye is a common name for sodium and/or potassium hydroxide. This solution is a strong base. Strong bases like lye are very good at dissolving greasy things and are often used to get clothes very clean. It makes sense to add them to soaps.

However, what is a strong base? In simple terms, chemists refer to a base as strong when its two component parts split up completely in solution. This makes them very reactive with anything else they encounter. In day-to-day life terms for most people, a strong acid or base is dangerously caustic and can dissolve metals... or you. (Hence all the warnings not to eat lye or put it on your skin.)

So you're 100% correct that the metal tub is the issue. Please stop using lye based soap in your clothes washing machine. While I'm not certain exactly what the lye is dissolving (a green hue may be copper or nickel metals) I *am* certain it is damaging your washer. This cannot be good for the lifetime of your machine and may result in you needing the plastic bowl method all of the time.

Cheers and good luck!

QUESTION: Hello,

Thank you for your informative reply.

I do have have copper pipes and a water softener system.
The normal detergents never gave the green hue. It's only the lye based soap when in contact with metal. Because I turned the washer on and took the water from it and filled a plastic bucket and washed the clothes, and no green hue showed in the clothes. The reason I did this is I was trying to know where exactly is the issue.
And it turned out to be metal.
But I read lye isn't present in the final product after it gets mixed with the oil to create soap.
And at the end again I am still puzzled.

Regards

Answer
Hm.

It is true that soaps are made by mixing lye with oil. Lye is really inexpensive to make chemically, while oils have to be pulled from the ground or isolated from plants or animals, making them more expensive. Often in industrial reactions extra helpings of the cheap stuff are used to make sure all the expensive ingredient is used. Long story short, there may be just a little extra lye in your soap left over from the initial reaction process, which then goes on to tint your clothes. :)

If you had access to a couple samples of soap, it might be interesting to see if different brands produced differing color levels. :)

I just had a thought. You could try adding ~100ml of white vinegar or a small amount of citric acid to your washing machine in the basin when you use the lye soap. If the tint is truly caused by excess lye, then the vinegar ought to neutralize the extra base and protect your machine. (i.e. the tint should vanish.)

A couple interesting articles to help clarify things (I hope)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lye (Says here lye reacts with galvanized zinc, which is a popular metal coating.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap#Soap-making_processes

This looks legit chemically, and the other soapmaking articles are interesting.
http://sodium-hydroxide.com/no-more-dirty-laundry-2-lye-laundry-soap-recipes-to-

Cheers!

Chemistry (including Biochemistry)

Trista Robichaud, PhD