Chemistry (including Biochemistry)/Difference Between LA and ALA

Question
Hi Trista,

I've read that linoleic acid has almost the same structure as alpha linolenic acid except that there is a carbon to carbon double bond at the third carbon position for the latter.

A few questions.

1. Why are the names so close?  Who came up with the names of the compounds?  It can be confusing to adults like me, that "n" makes a lot of difference, LOL.

2. Why is the word "alpha" before linolenic acid?  Is there such a compound as linolenic acid?  If so, what would be the difference between the two compounds?  (I see the word "linolenic acid" used on the net quite often, but when I try to find the structure of linolenic acid, only alpha linolenic acid shows up.)

3. Why does the double carbon bond in question here make such a big difference in the way the body uses these two compounds?

Thanks!
Usuff

Background info on me :- I'm 60 and have hypertension. I've had mixed success using fatty acids to control BP. I need to brush up on my organic chemistry to try to understand the literature on the subject.  The last time I studied organic chemistry was in High School, did pass, though :-)

Answer
Hello Usuf! Thank you for the background; it does help in answering the question!

1) There is an international meeting of chemistry societies called IUPAC, or International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry. Historically, these folks are the ones that come up with all the names. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Union_of_Pure_and_Applied_Chemistry) This is done so that chemists everywhere have a 'background language' that will always refer to the same molecules, no matter what the native language of the chemist is.

That said, learning IUPAC nomenclature is a royal pain in the butt for most modern organic chemistry students. :) I'm not sure when IUPAC started being taught in schools, but it may be you escaped that rite of passage when you went through your education. (Also, for some students in the 'old days' elements were compared to the mass of carbon as opposed to the mass of hydrogen in general chemistry... which might be a surprise to you, but is hopefully not a big change.)

Much of the time IUPAC naming conventions result in Very Long Names indeed. The human tendency to create nicknames for these long names is what's tripping you up... as well as common historical names for things. It can be a big headache.

Anyway, why are the names so close? It's because the structures are very similar.

Both α-Linolenic acid and linoleic acid both describe 18 carbon chain fatty acids, with a carboxyl group on one end.

Stearic acid (IUPAC: octadecanoic acid) is the C-18 version with no double bonds. Its name is nice and unfussy because we don't have to keep track of where those double bonds are. (Also notice that it's a --anoic acid, which tells organic chemists it has saturated hydrocarbons. If had a double bond, it would be --enoic acid... with more than one double bond, it's a --dienoic (two) or --trienoic (three) acid. :)

So, Linoleic acid. IUPAC: 9,12-Octadecadienoic acid. Translating the IUPAC name, we'd read that as 'eighteen carbons, two double bonds, oh yeah, must be on that 9 and 12 carbon, and it's a carboxylic acid. Got it.' 'Proper' IUPAC naming numbers carbons from the carboxy end. Most folks count from the OTHER end and so it is a c-6 polyunsaturated omega fatty acid. (more on omega-sixes in a minute.)

Head hurt yet? Sorry, got a couple more. Please bear with me.

α-Linolenic acid has the IUPAC name 9,12,15-Octadecatrienoic acid. --oic acid means 'carboxylic acid'. 'octadeca' means eighteen carbons. 'trieneoic' means three double bonds. Those numbers indicate the first carbon of the double bond counting from the carboxylic end (the most exciting bit) of the molecule.  However, most folks look at this molecule and cheer, because this is an omega-3 fatty acid. (Its first cis double bond is on c-3.)

Why do we care about omega 3 fatty acids? Because humans can't make them, and therefore we have to find them in our diet and eat them. :) Doctors care less about omega sixes and omega nines, because humans CAN make those. Taking extra can be sometimes helpful, but isn't vital like omega threes.

But Dr. Trista, why is the alpha important?

Remember the whole 'historical names' and 'shortened names' thing? Back in the day, chemists isolated α-Linolenic acid first, thinking it sufficient to describe a c-18 carboxylic fatty acid with three cis double bonds. Then they found beta, which was an artifact, and then γ-Linolenic acid, which also had three double bonds... but those were at c6, c9, and c12. And some folks used 6,9,12-octadecatrienoic acid as a folk remedy for issues. So they needed separate names. But only α-Linolenic acid had the magic omega three. ;)

While I didn't do all your questions in the precise order, I hope this made sense. Please feel free to come back with more questions. :)

Wikipedia articles I referenced:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linolenic_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stearic_acid (The 3d rendering on this page looks like a matchstick. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Linolenic_acid (Check out this curved snake structure! :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Linolenic_acid (Oh look, a carbon horseshoe! :)

Chemistry (including Biochemistry)

Trista Robichaud, PhD