Chemistry (including Biochemistry)/electrons into pure helium

Question
please tell me, considering that helium is inert, if i have a sharp needle with HV DC emanating electrons into pure helium. the helium is surrounded by air (as the needle is in air having a stream of helium directed at it). will the electron bond to the helium and stay with the He or will the electrons in the helium disperse and separate from the helium, once the helium disperses into the air?
thank you,
gene

Answer
Dear Gene:

My apologies for the delay.

In short, the electrons will disperse the first chance they get, most likely to O2, N2 or H2O.  This is due to the electron affinity. This is the ability to capture electrons, or more formally the energy associated with adding an electron.  Basically, while the electrons are ever more slightly happy being associated with He (forming He-)than they are when near nothing at all, they are much more inclined (in a lower energy state) to hang out near oxygen (and to some degree, nitrogen).  

You can certainly look up electron affinity at most chem wikis (UC Davis has a good one, as does the ChemGuide website... wikipedia does okay too).

I hope this helps!

Cheers!  

Chemistry (including Biochemistry)

Dr. Jeffery Raymond