Chemistry (including Biochemistry)/Stoichiometric balance of mixotrophic growth

Question
Stoichiometric Balance Equations
Stoichiometric Balance  
Dear Trista,
I have been working in a laboratory cultivating microalgae for my Masters Thesis. Part of the thesis requires that I do a stoichiometric mass balance on the mixotrophic growth of algae grown on waste-water. I work mainly with life-cycle analysis and economic modelling, so my experience with biochemistry is a bit limited and am therefor trying to simplify the balance as much as possible. I have been painstakingly combing through the internet for the past month and a half trying to work out how to balance this mixotrophic growth in a way that makes sense. I would be really grateful If you could have a look and tell me if it makes sense or if there is something I am doing wrong. I have included the equations I have balanced as an image in the attachment.

I have combined the heterotrophic and photoautotrophic growth equations into one as I am only interested in the inputs and outputs of the system. The coefficient units are in moles / mole biomass produced. The pH increased from 7.8 -8.1 every 35 minutes and was maintained by CO2 injection. This increase corresponds to an increase in OH- of 38.55 Moles and a decrease in H+ of 0.508 Moles / Mole biomass. As the pH is increasing this would suggest that photoautotrophic activity is greater than heterotrophic. With the pH being around 8 I am assuming that all of the dissolved inorganic carbon being utilized is in the form of HCO3-.
I am having two main Issues with the results of the balance. Firstly, the balance shows a net production of HCO3- and a net consumption of H2O and O2. I would have expected with more photosynthesis than heterotrophy that there would be a net production of O2 and a net consumption of HCO3 and H2O. However the balance doesn’t seem to make sense. If there was more heterotrophic activity I would expect there to be more HCO3 and H2O production where infact more H2O is being consumed. The second issue I am having is that the charges aren’t balancing. The left side has a total charge of -11.824 and the right side has a total charge of -57.879.

Answer
Hi Daniel!

WHOA. That's heavy. I have questions.

1) How much of the time does your algae spend fixing light energy?
2) How much of the time does your algae spend eating carbon? What is the biomass they are consuming?

If your microalgae spends more time eating carbon, than production of more CO2 than O2 makes sense, because your algae is burning more carbons than it is fixing. Glycolytic and mitochondrial cellular respiration require O2 and H2O to make ATP.

It may be that you don't want your microalgae to be eating more carbon than fixing it. In this case, you may wish to change the living conditions of the microalgae to favor the light reactions (make sugar from CO2) over the dark reactions (burn sugar to do cellular work).

Good luck with your thesis. In my humble experience, living critters tend to do what they want rather than what you tell them, so ofttimes they must be coaxed or tricked into behaving. :)

Articles you might find useful
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixotroph
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthesis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration

Chemistry (including Biochemistry)

Trista Robichaud, PhD