Chemistry (including Biochemistry)/Biochemical mechanism: fat to cellular energy

Question
I am a college student taking a basic nutrition course. My (very slight) biochem background has caused me to find a question that is outside the scope of the course. Google and AskScience on Reddit have yielded no results, and I'm convinced I am misunderstanding some basic principle.

My assumptions are:
1) Glucose is the preferred method of energy intake by the cell.
2) Glucose is formed by either (a) the breakdown of carbohydrates, or (b) the breakdown of previously stored fat.
3) If (b), the breakdown of fats into glucose causes ketone bodies to form, which can lead to ketosis, a toxic build up of ketone bodies.
4) People are capable of losing weight without poisoning themselves to death.

My questions are:
1) How do people use their own fat stores for energy if the body's method of preparing those fat stores for cellular energy use causes toxic ketone buildup?
2) If fat can be used directly for energy, why does the body ever choose to convert it to glucose if that method is poisonous?
3) What are the various biochemical pathways that the body uses for energy if there is a currency beyond glucose? In other words, on a chemical level, what forms of energy can a cell use, how does it work, and what are the benefits and disadvantages of each type of energy use?

Thank you!

Answer
What Feeds Cellular Respiration
What Feeds Cellular Re  
Hello Amber!

The process you're curious about is called cellular respiration. While it is true that glucose is a cell's favorite fuel, it is not the only fuel a cell can use. Please bear with me for a few moments, as you have asked a long question with many differing players.

There are three main processes in cellular respiration; glycolysis, the citric acid cycle, and oxidative phosphorylation.

Glycolysis breaks down sugar in a reaction to make ATP (cellular energy molecule, kind of like a rechargeable battery), pyruvate, and NADH (mitochondria batteries). This is not the world's most efficient way to make ATP because it occurs in the cellular water of the cell between organelles. Biochemistry's best reactions usually occur by passing atoms across cellular membranes. Oxidative phosphorylation in the mitochondria is a great example of this, where mitochondria use proteins in their inner membrane. These take NADH and use it to power cellular machines that make a huge amount of ATP from ADP... which is a cell's favorite fuel to help unfavorable reactions go.

Helpfully, glycolysis is not the only source of NADH - the major source of that takes place inside the mitochondria, and is called the citric acid cycle. The citric acid cycle can be likened to the currency exchange desk at international airports - the cell can put a number of different reactants into the citric acid cycle and still get energy out the other end. So the pyruvate that was made in glycolysis can be broken down here, as can ketones made by breaking down fatty acids. Someone on an extremely high protein diet can use the TCA cycle to take amino acids (protein monomers) and make energy from those, too. Alternately, the cell can repurpose molecules acquired in the diet through the TCA cycle enzyme workshop to build other structures as needed.

In short, the molecules the cell can use to feed cellular respiration can be found in this figure. (Must copy and paste link into browser input bar at top of page if image attachment does not work.)
https://ka-perseus-images.s3.amazonaws.com/16eb9b45c81ecf239789608beef4dbdc033a0415.png

A good introduction to cellular respiration can be found in most contemporary not-for-majors biology books. I do cover this material in biology classes I teach to majors as well as biology nonmajors. If most of what I said up above looks like technobabble nonsense, then I'd suggest sitting down with your favorite beverage and watching this video series online. Episode six deals with cellular respiration in detail with good humor.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwL0Myd7Dk1F0iQPGrjehze3eDpco1eVz (Alt: google Amoeba Sisters Biology Videos in Sequence.)

To address some of your more specific questions:

I notice you assume that ketones are always toxic, but this is not so. The body has scavenging mechanisms to turn ketones into energy. As it says on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bodies)

<em>"The heart preferentially utilizes fatty acids for energy under normal physiologic conditions. However, under ketotic conditions, the heart can effectively utilize ketone bodies for energy" </em>

So heart cells would rather 'eat' fat, but can eat ketones too by using the citric acid cycle. This may be because the blood level of glucose can spike and drop, but there will always be fat cells for the using.

Like many things, the body can also simply urinate extra unused ketones out, or get rid of them in other ways. Ever notice how low-blood-sugar diabetics have stinky breath? They are exhaling extra ketones that the brain uses to keep going. For normal healthy folks, the switch from a sugar powered brain to a ketone powered brain happens during fasting and is no big deal. Ketones are only toxic in unusual circumstances when cellular metabolism is unbalanced. (ex: diabetes. Most often in diabetes cells cannot get sugar from the bloodstream, and so are 'stuck' breaking down fat to survive.)

So ultimately when we lose extra mass (fat molecules) where do the carbons go? We exhale them - the end products of cellular respiration are water, many recharged ATP, and carbon dioxide.

Hopefully this helps - in reality, people can and do write books to answer this question! You can also check out Khan Academy to help you understand what is going on.

Chemistry (including Biochemistry)

Trista Robichaud, PhD