Chess/Chess Rules.

Question
Dear Tony

I would like to know the rules for the following in
International Chess Tournaments.

1. If a Player touches a Chess Piece, but the Move is not possible
by that piece, is he/she allowed, if yes how many times in the game or he/she has to resign from the game ?.

Examples
--------

A Player touches a King piece, but the king cannot move anywhere
in the board.

A Player touches a Pawn piece, but the pawn cannot go ahead nor can kill opponents pieces on the board.

and any other move which was not possible on the chess board.

2. If a Player touches opponents pieces during his move instead of picking his own pieces.

i.e. Player who is playing with white pieces, picks up a black piece i.e. King, Queen, Knight, Bishop, Rook, Pawn and vice versa.

The Above incidents has happened accidentally by the player, possibly it may happen when players also have to make rapid moves during time pressures.  

What are the Chess rules for the above ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
From the FIDE (International Chess Federation) Laws of Chess:

"4.5 If none of the pieces touched can be moved or captured, the player may make any legal
move."

I assume though that if the player kept this sort of thing up (and his opponent complained about it to the tournament director), the TD could give him a warning for being a nuisance. :)

Chess

Tony D'Aloisio