Chess/King's Indian Attack

I have recently discovered the white opening, King's Indian Attack. I like it, but I don't know how it is supposed to be played after the opening. What kind of player is KIA suited for and how good is the opening in general?

Hi Matt,

The King's Indian Attack is one opening which can suit different types of players - both attacking and positional.  It's one of the great universal opening systems available to White as Black can't avoid it, and knowing which squares the pieces belong on is more important than memorizing a series of specific moves.  It was a favorite of the late world champion Bobby Fischer.

Here's some internet sites which will help you learn how to play it:

If you send me your email address using the form at , I can send you some PDF files at no cost.

Len Molden  

Len Molden

Questions about specific chess openings and advice about which opening repertoire is suited to a particular style. For example, the Sicilian Defense is suited to aggressive players, while the Caro Kann Defense appeals to defensive players.

I've been studying chess since I was 12. Apart from a vast library of specialized chess opening books, I also have a huge database collection of games.

University, College

I've been playing in chess tournaments in the United States and Canada since 1972. I've won many tournaments in both countries and I'm ranked as a Canadian Expert. I've also written articles for chess magazines and one of my best victories ever is featured here:

Chess Team Competition

My site helps chess players from around the world with free advice.