As of today, April 4th, 2013, can you tell me the lifetime head to head chess win/loss/draw record between world chess champion, Viswanathan Anand, and his just newly named challenger for the title, Magnus Carlsen?

Thanks very much.

Hmmmm, interesting question especially considering that I, personally, had never given it much thought !

At any rate, there are many online databases which give just about all published/available games, so that question is not difficult to answer.  For this matter, I went to very good site, which I browse through regularly.

Carlsen and Anand started meeting head-to-head in 2005----back when one of Norway's most
esteemed sons was only 14 !  (He was born in late 1990.) To date, their personal record against each other is six wins for Anand, two victories for Carlsen, plus 19 draws...

....except this is only classical games !  Speed games, exhibition games, etc were filtered out when I made these calculations.  Personally, I don't place much value in those types of games.

By the way, I decided to dig further to see what their record is from 2010 to the present---in other words, not counting the games from pre-2010.  Why ?  Because by 2010, Carlsen was certainly stronger than in 2005.  

But, oddly enough, their record from 2010-2013 (not counting speed/exhibition games) is

1-2 in favor of Anand, along with 12 draws.  

That's a bit strange---one might have expected Carlsen's record to be better for that later

time period.

Hope this helps !   Any further questions, by all means fire away !

Howard S Sample

First, I can't answer analytical questions on chess because my United States Chess Federation (USCF) rating is definitely below average. However, I am very knowledgeable about chess history and general chess trivia. I've been a chess trivia buff for 35 years! Furthermore, my research and writing skills are far above average! I've been researching chess questions on the Internet for over 10 years and pretty much know where to look for answers to them. My strong devotion to chess will show in many of the questions I can answer for your website. In other words, I can give specific, detailed answers if the need may be.

I have been a USCF member for 35 years (as of next month) and also have a very substantial collection of back issues of chess magazines, not to mention a lot of chess books. I am also familiar with many chess websites, such as ChessCafe and Chessbase. To be quite frank, chess (playing, studying, researching, and so on) has been somewhat of an obsession to me ever since I was about 12. I just can't seem to get enough of it.

United States Chess Federation (since 1975)

Interesting question! If you Google my full name (Howard S Sample) you will see that I have made many contributions to chess websites. I send in questions and comments very regularly although they don't always get printed. Admittedly, I can be a bit picky when writing to correct errors but I've submitted corrections many times (and not just to chess websites). Incidentally, I am also entering the field of freelance writing though, admittedly, I plan to write mainly about issues such as investments, federal taxation, and accounting/finance topics. But freelance writing on chess topics is also a field I'm exploring.

I have two degrees in business, of which one is an MBA (from the University of Toledo).