Chess/bs ing the king

Question
I have a friend who is a winning tournament chess coach for a school.  I played her online recently, and moved a bishop up to check her king very early in the game.  She called that bs ing the king, and said it was considered poor form.  I think it was a good move.  Even though I lost a bishop very early, I forced her king out of the first rank, and prevented castling on that side, and also slowed her development.   Have you heard of this?  Is it impolite, poor form?  I think it might just be a "gentlemans" agreement sort of thing in this regional area.  I'm very new to chess, and I don't want to offend someone with unsportsmanlike play.

Answer
Hi--

Well, I would have to see the position to know exactly what the situation was.  But it sounds to me like you probably gave up a bishop for inadequate compensation.  However, no move, whether strong or weak, can be considered impolite or unsportsmanlike; only such tactics as refusing to move when in a lost position or needlessly dragging out a hopeless game could legitimately be considered as such.

I have never heard the phrase "bs ing the king" before.  In chess though "poor form" is more likely to be a euphemism for a dubious move rather than implying some lapse in etiquette.  It is often used to characterize a player's less than stellar performance at an event, as in:  "Grandmaster So-and-So was in poor form throughout this tournament."

Chess

Tony D'Aloisio