Chess/bs ing the king

I have a friend who is a winning tournament chess coach for a school.  I played her online recently, and moved a bishop up to check her king very early in the game.  She called that bs ing the king, and said it was considered poor form.  I think it was a good move.  Even though I lost a bishop very early, I forced her king out of the first rank, and prevented castling on that side, and also slowed her development.   Have you heard of this?  Is it impolite, poor form?  I think it might just be a "gentlemans" agreement sort of thing in this regional area.  I'm very new to chess, and I don't want to offend someone with unsportsmanlike play.

Well, I would have to see the position to know exactly what the situation was.  But it sounds to me like you probably gave up a bishop for inadequate compensation.  However, no move, whether strong or weak, can be considered impolite or unsportsmanlike; only such tactics as refusing to move when in a lost position or needlessly dragging out a hopeless game could legitimately be considered as such.

I have never heard the phrase "bs ing the king" before.  In chess though "poor form" is more likely to be a euphemism for a dubious move rather than implying some lapse in etiquette.  It is often used to characterize a player's less than stellar performance at an event, as in:  "Grandmaster So-and-So was in poor form throughout this tournament."

Tony D'Aloisio

I've read a good deal on the subject and I can answer a lot of chess history questions (or at least I'll know where to look them up). Also questions regarding analyzing specific positions (although with the advent of powerful chess software, this isn't likely to have the importance it once did).

I was a national master in the US for a number of years. My peak USCF rating was 2290, and I was ranked in the top 150 in the state of California. My current published rating is 2177.

B.A. Sonoma State University 1984 (English major with Communications emphasis)