Chess/Famous left handed chess grandmasters.

Dear Len

Are there famous left handed chess grandmasters?.

Hi Prashant,

The only famous GMs I know for certain who were left-handed are former world chess champions the late GM Mikhail Tal and GM Garry Kasparov.  Some people claim that another ex-champion Vladimir Kramnik is, based on videos or photos they've seen of him.

Some research has suggested that 19% of chess players (of all levels) are left-handed, much higher than the 10-12% of left-handers in the population as a whole. Here's an interesting article that offers more on chess players and left-handedness:

Len Molden

Questions about specific chess openings and advice about which opening repertoire is suited to a particular style. For example, the Sicilian Defense is suited to aggressive players, while the Caro Kann Defense appeals to defensive players.

I've been studying chess since I was 12. Apart from a vast library of specialized chess opening books, I also have a huge database collection of games.

University, College

I've been playing in chess tournaments in the United States and Canada since 1972. I've won many tournaments in both countries and I'm ranked as a Canadian Expert. I've also written articles for chess magazines and one of my best victories ever is featured here:

Chess Team Competition

My site helps chess players from around the world with free advice.