Chess/Famous left handed chess grandmasters.

Question
Dear Len

Are there famous left handed chess grandmasters?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hi Prashant,

The only famous GMs I know for certain who were left-handed are former world chess champions the late GM Mikhail Tal and GM Garry Kasparov.  Some people claim that another ex-champion Vladimir Kramnik is, based on videos or photos they've seen of him.

Some research has suggested that 19% of chess players (of all levels) are left-handed, much higher than the 10-12% of left-handers in the population as a whole. Here's an interesting article that offers more on chess players and left-handedness:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/handedne-practice-and-talent-in-che

Len

Chess

Len Molden