Chess/Magnetic chess boards.

Question
Dear Tony

Are magnetic chess boards allowed in World Championship chess games according to FIDE chess games rules?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
It doesn't appear to me that there are any regulations specifically banning magnetic sets from FIDE events.  However, FIDE does provide a whole host of guidelines for pieces, boards, etc., and it doesn't seem likely to me that too many magnetic sets would measure up to these regulations.  Honestly though, I'm not sure why anyone would want to use a magnetic set for a serious game (particularly given their generally rather small size); the only time I would ever have recourse to such a set is if there were no alternative. :)

Chess

Tony D'Aloisio