Chess/Magnetic chess boards.

Dear Tony

Are magnetic chess boards allowed in World Championship chess games according to FIDE chess games rules?.

It doesn't appear to me that there are any regulations specifically banning magnetic sets from FIDE events.  However, FIDE does provide a whole host of guidelines for pieces, boards, etc., and it doesn't seem likely to me that too many magnetic sets would measure up to these regulations.  Honestly though, I'm not sure why anyone would want to use a magnetic set for a serious game (particularly given their generally rather small size); the only time I would ever have recourse to such a set is if there were no alternative. :)

Tony D'Aloisio

I've read a good deal on the subject and I can answer a lot of chess history questions (or at least I'll know where to look them up). Also questions regarding analyzing specific positions (although with the advent of powerful chess software, this isn't likely to have the importance it once did).

I was a national master in the US for a number of years. My peak USCF rating was 2290, and I was ranked in the top 150 in the state of California. My current published rating is 2177.

B.A. Sonoma State University 1984 (English major with Communications emphasis)