Chess/special check situation in chess

If a player moves a piece (let's say Queen) to block an opponents check, and that move puts the queen where it not only interposes itself between his king and the opponents attacking piece, successfully defending the king, but ALSO simultaneously is in position to attack the other player's king, I assume you would call "check" and in the ensuing turn the opponent would have to protect his king as in all cases of check per the rules. What gives me pause is that the queen could not take the king without opening the check on his own king. So is it a real check?
Maybe this seems obvious, but thank you for answering. Howard

Interesting coincidence that your name is Howard----that's my name, too !

If I understand the question correctly, the interposing queen is delivering a

legitimate check, even if it's "pinned" against its own king.  

Let's say that it's White who's queen is pinned.  In other words, Black had just

checked White, and White interposed his queen between the checking piece (say, a rook)

and his own king.  But, this was one of these very rare cases where the interposition

resulted in Black's (!) turn to be checked.  So, now, Black is in check---not White.

Yes, it's a legitimate check---pure and simple.  With Black to move, he must do something

about the check immediately.  The fact that White's queen is "pinned" makes no

difference whatsoever.

Howard S Sample

First, I can't answer analytical questions on chess because my United States Chess Federation (USCF) rating is definitely below average. However, I am very knowledgeable about chess history and general chess trivia. I've been a chess trivia buff for 35 years! Furthermore, my research and writing skills are far above average! I've been researching chess questions on the Internet for over 10 years and pretty much know where to look for answers to them. My strong devotion to chess will show in many of the questions I can answer for your website. In other words, I can give specific, detailed answers if the need may be.

I have been a USCF member for 35 years (as of next month) and also have a very substantial collection of back issues of chess magazines, not to mention a lot of chess books. I am also familiar with many chess websites, such as ChessCafe and Chessbase. To be quite frank, chess (playing, studying, researching, and so on) has been somewhat of an obsession to me ever since I was about 12. I just can't seem to get enough of it.

United States Chess Federation (since 1975)

Interesting question! If you Google my full name (Howard S Sample) you will see that I have made many contributions to chess websites. I send in questions and comments very regularly although they don't always get printed. Admittedly, I can be a bit picky when writing to correct errors but I've submitted corrections many times (and not just to chess websites). Incidentally, I am also entering the field of freelance writing though, admittedly, I plan to write mainly about issues such as investments, federal taxation, and accounting/finance topics. But freelance writing on chess topics is also a field I'm exploring.

I have two degrees in business, of which one is an MBA (from the University of Toledo).