Chess/Irving Chernev

Question
Chernev was such a prolific writer about Grand Masters that I have always been surprised that he never wrote a book about the games of Bobby Fischer. Why do you think that is?

Answer
Judging from the numerous books that Chernev penned, it seems that writing ones
about specific players was not his cup of tea for some reason.  It seems that most of
his works were devoted to endgame studies (Practical Chess Endings) and combinations
(Combinations: the Heart of Chess), rather than ones with complete game scores.

The only book he wrote to my knowledge with a fair amount of Fischer material was The
Golden Dozen, in which he ranked the twelfth greatest pawn-pushers of all time, and he gave about ten games for each player.  The
book came out in 1976, and I was pretty familiar with it at one time.  Fischer, by the
way, clocked in at 4th on Chernev's all-time list...

.....but then Capablanca came in first place, and he was apparently the ONLY player
whom Chernev did a volume on----that one was called Capablanca's Best Chess Endings.
I have that book, in fact.  It came out around 1978.

So, in conclusion, it appears that Capablanca (whom Chernev idolized, incidentally)
was the only great player whom he felt was worthy of a complete book.  In other words,
it wasn't just Fischer whom Chernev shunned.

Howard

Chess

Howard S Sample