Chess/Chess Hand Rule.

Dear Len

Is there any rule in Chess game where the player who plays with either White or Black has to use the same Hand for making moves?.

Hi Prashant,

I could find nothing that states that you have to use the same hand for making moves. You do have to press the clock with the same hand that you moved the piece with.  In the FIDE laws of chess it states:

6.2. A player must press his clock with the same hand with which he made his move. It is forbidden for a player to keep his finger on the clock or to ‘hover’ over it.

However, I feel that some Tournament Directors might take exception to this if a player was constantly changing hands moving a piece then pressing the clock.  He or She may think of this as a distraction to the other player, but I'm not sure.  I'll ask a long-time TD I know to see what he thinks and will report back if his response differs.

Len Molden

Len Molden

Questions about specific chess openings and advice about which opening repertoire is suited to a particular style. For example, the Sicilian Defense is suited to aggressive players, while the Caro Kann Defense appeals to defensive players.

I've been studying chess since I was 12. Apart from a vast library of specialized chess opening books, I also have a huge database collection of games.

University, College

I've been playing in chess tournaments in the United States and Canada since 1972. I've won many tournaments in both countries and I'm ranked as a Canadian Expert. I've also written articles for chess magazines and one of my best victories ever is featured here:

Chess Team Competition

My site helps chess players from around the world with free advice.