Chess/Rapid chess Games.

Dear Howard

Do you feel that the Chess player who can play with both Hands in Rapid chess Games will have an edge over the Chess player who can play with only one Hand?.

Yes, that would definitely be an advantage in rapid chess.

After all, the drawback of using one hand means that immediately upon moving a piece, the

player then has to quickly reach over to the clock to punch it.  But in the "two-handed"

version, a fast player can save roughly half-a-second a move, if he moves with one hand

while hitting the clock with the other.

I'm not expert in "official" rapid rules, but it's my understanding that a player should use

ONE hand for moving and punching the clock, however.  Otherwise, a player can try to punch

his clock at the exact same time that he's moving a piece (using his other hand), and that is,

of course, unethical.

Howard S Sample

First, I can't answer analytical questions on chess because my United States Chess Federation (USCF) rating is definitely below average. However, I am very knowledgeable about chess history and general chess trivia. I've been a chess trivia buff for 35 years! Furthermore, my research and writing skills are far above average! I've been researching chess questions on the Internet for over 10 years and pretty much know where to look for answers to them. My strong devotion to chess will show in many of the questions I can answer for your website. In other words, I can give specific, detailed answers if the need may be.

I have been a USCF member for 35 years (as of next month) and also have a very substantial collection of back issues of chess magazines, not to mention a lot of chess books. I am also familiar with many chess websites, such as ChessCafe and Chessbase. To be quite frank, chess (playing, studying, researching, and so on) has been somewhat of an obsession to me ever since I was about 12. I just can't seem to get enough of it.

United States Chess Federation (since 1975)

Interesting question! If you Google my full name (Howard S Sample) you will see that I have made many contributions to chess websites. I send in questions and comments very regularly although they don't always get printed. Admittedly, I can be a bit picky when writing to correct errors but I've submitted corrections many times (and not just to chess websites). Incidentally, I am also entering the field of freelance writing though, admittedly, I plan to write mainly about issues such as investments, federal taxation, and accounting/finance topics. But freelance writing on chess topics is also a field I'm exploring.

I have two degrees in business, of which one is an MBA (from the University of Toledo).