Chess/tournament preparedness

Question
For someone who only plays in two tournaments a year, how many weeks or months in advance should he prepare for a major tournament?

Answer
Hi Al.  Thank you for your question.

Prepare as much for your tournaments as your time and interests allow.  The more prepared that you are the more likely you are to perform well in the tournaments.  The answer to your question is going to be different for everybody because everyone has different goals and time constraints.  If someone is preparing for a World Championship Match they might prepare eight hours a day, while somebody who just plays for fun and has no time and/or interest in preparation may not prepare at all.  They'll just show up and play.  The "best" answer is prepare as much as you can given your personal goals and time that you can allot for chess study.

I wish you well in your tournament!

Your chess friend,

Chuck

Chess

Chuck Kinzie