Chess/Checkmate with Two knights.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Len

Is it possible to checkmate with two knights?

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: Hi Prashant,

Two Knights alone cannot force checkmate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_knights_endgame#Troitzky_line

As the above article states: "Although there are checkmate positions, the superior side cannot force them against proper (and easy) defense (Speelman, Tisdall & Wade 1993:11)".

"On the other hand, if the weaker side also has material, checkmate is sometimes possible.(Troitzky 2006:197-257)".

This endgame is very rare, as I've never encountered it or seen it at a tournament in 44 years of playing organized chess.

Len Molden

QUESTION: Dear Len

Thanks.

According to chess grandmasters,chess experts,chess theory,mathematics etc,why there cannot be a Checkmate with two knights/Horses even though there are Checkmate positions available on the
chess board ?

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Two Knights Mate
Two Knights Mate  
Hi Prashant,

If you set-up the following mate with two Knights vs. a lone King on a chessboard:

White - Ka6, Nb6, Nc6
Black - Ka8

...the only way for this to occur is for Black to voluntarily put his King into the corner where is has the least amount of squares to move.  Even a rank beginner is unlikely to do that.  The two Knights and King simply do not cover enough sqaures - unlike two Bishops.

Chess

Len Molden