Chevrolet Repair/96 g30 backup lamp switch adjustment

Question
Hi. I need help finding and adjusting the backup lamp switch on a 1996 chevrolet g30 van. The lamps do come on as a flash when shifting gears but do not stay on. I need to tow a trailer that has surge brakes and the back up lamp switch cancels braking when backing the trailer. The switch seems to be on top of the steering column but I am unsure how to access it. The van is a 350 auto with a/c and power brakes with no other options. Thanks in advance for the help Paul

Answer
HI PAUL, THE REVERSE LIGHT SWITCH IS ALSO CALLED A NEUTRAL SAFTY SWITCH. IT SERVES AS 2 FUNCTIONS. KEEPING THE ENGING FROM STARTING WHEN IN GEAR AND TURNING ON THE REVERSE LIGHTS WHEN IN REVERSE OF COURSE. THE SWITCH ON TOP OF THE STEERING COLUMN IS NOT WHAT YOU ARE AFTER...GET UNDER THE TRUCK AND LOOK BY THE TRANSMISSION RANGE SELECTOR [GEAR SHIFTER GOING INTO THE SIDE OF THE TRANSMISSION DRIVERS SIDE]YOU WILL FIND YOUR SWITCH THERE..NOW THERE ARE 2 TO 3 DIFFERENT KIND OF SWITCHES FOR THIS VAN. SOME YOU CAN ADJUST BY LOOSENING THE SCREWS THAT HOLD IT IN PLACE AND TURNING THE SWITCH ONE WAY OR THE OTHER,,IF IT HAS HOLD DOWN SCREWS.. THE MOST COMMON SWITCH THERE IS NO ADJ, YOU REMOVE THE LINKAGE AND REMOVE THE OLD SWITCH AND INSTALL A NEW ONE..HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK..LET ME KNOW,,,,TOM

HI PAUL ITS ME AGAIN..I THINK I GAVE YOU SOME WRONG INFO ON YOUR VAN,,,I LOOKED THIS VAN UP TODAY IN MY WORK COMPUTER AND YOU ARE CORRECT. THIS SWITCH IS ON THE BASE OF THE STEERING COLUMN.. MOST ARE NOT....SORRY SORRY..REMOVE THE COVER UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL AND REMOVE THE BOLTS THAT HOLD THE COLUMN TO THE DASH.THE COLUMN WILL DROP AND YOU CAN GET ON THIS SWITCH REAL EASY...THIS SWITCH [IS ADJUSTABLE],JUST LOOSEN THE SCREWS AND MOVE THE SWITCH ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.IF THIS DOES NOT TAKE CARE OF IT GET A NEW SWITCH. AGAIN IAM SO SORRY. FOR THIS..LET ME KNOW IF YOU EED MORE INFO..YOUR DUMB EXPERT...TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS