Chevrolet Repair/Steering Column Repair

Question
QUESTION: When I Turn the steering wheel every quarter of a turn it gets stiff/more difficult to turn. I replaced rack and pinion. Ball Joints and bushing are good. I am thinking maybe within steering column? Steering Column Bearings? Not Sure what it could be. Power Steering pump is good. Hope i can get some help thanks.

ANSWER: HI DAVID, I WISH YOU TOLD ME WHAT KIND OF CAR THIS WAS..THIS COULD BE A VERY COMMON ISSUE ON MANY. THIS IS NOT THE STEERING COLUMN ITSELF IT IS THE SHAFT THAT CONNECTS THE RACK AND PINION TO THE COLUMNS SHAFT.. THIS SHAFT HAS U-JOINT IN IT AND THATS WHY EVERY 1/4 TURN OR SO IT BINDS UP BECAUSE THE U-JOINTS ARE LOCKING UP..IF YOU LOOSEN THE COUPLER TO THE RACK AND PINION AND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SHAFT SLIDE IT UP THE COLUMN TO REMOVE IT FROM THE RACK AND PINION AND THEN MOVE THAT END OF THE SHAFT WHERE IT GOES ON THE RACK YOU WILL FIND IT IS BINDING.. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT...TOM...

QUESTION: this is david its a 96 chevy camaro z28 is the model

ANSWER: HI DAVID AGAIN, I JUST REPLACED A 2002 CAMARO SS RACK 3 MONTHS BACK AND FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CAN'T REMEMBER IF THERE WAS A SMALL SHAFT GOING TO THE RACK OR NOT..BUT IN ANY EVENT PULL THE SHAFT OFF THE RACK AND MOVE THE COUPLER ALL AROUND AND SEE IF IT FEELS LIKE IT BINDS UP..I THINK YOU WILL FIND IT DOES...LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT..TOM

QUESTION: its david with camaro steering problem well i took my car for a drive with problem and all of a sudden i was at stop sign and was turning the wheel left and right and heard a pop and now stee ring works. something pop back into place and now no difficulty turning. any ideas what that could be that pop back into place?

Answer
HI DAVID, SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG I HAD SOME PC PROBLEMS..YES, THIS COULD BE THE JOINT ON THE STEERING SHAFT CENTERING ITSELF..IF THIS JOINT IS THE PROBLEM I SUSPECT IT WILL RETURN..I WOULD AT LEAST LOOK AT THIS JOINT AND THE STEERING SHAFT JUST FOR YOUR PIECE OF MIND AND SAFETY REASONS....ALSO WAS THIS THE REASON WHY YOU REPLACED THE RACK OR WAS IT LEAKING ??? THERE REALLY IS NOTHING ELSE LEFT IN THE STEERING ASSEMBLY THAT WOULD CAUSE THIS PROBLEM OTHER THEN THIS STEERING SHAFT BY THE RACK....LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT. TOM....

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS