Chevrolet Repair/camaro died

Question
QUESTION: i was driving down highway and my car just lost power out of nowhere and started deaccelerating until it stopped. when i tried to turn the car back on it would turn on and then engine would shut off immediately. check gauge light came on when this happened. car keeps turning on and shutting off immediately. also, before this- my oil gauge was reading at 90 when it used to be at 60. after driving a while it would go down to around 70. but after it died, the oil gauge sits at 0. my oil level is good. i brought it to a mechanic and they think its the fuel pump but say they cant say for sure until they put it in. i dont feel that it is the fuel pump. does this sound like a bad engine?

ANSWER: HI KRISTINA, THIS DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A BAD ENGINE TO ME. YOUR GAUGE WILL READ ZERO PRESSURE WHEN IT IS NOT RUNNING,, THIS IS NORMAL. THE GAUGES ON YOUR DASH ARE NEVER 100% CORRECT.THE REASON WHY IT READ HIGHER THEN NORMAL IS BECAUSE THE SENDING UNIT IS GETTING BAD..MAY WANT TO HAVE THIS REPLACED AFTER THE ENG IS UP AND RUNNING AGAIN. OIL PRESSURE SWITCH ABOUT $24.00 OR SO FOR A GM SWITCH.. NOW,,IF THIS SHOP THAT YOU TOOK YOUR CAR TO CAN NOT TELL YOU IF IT IS THE FUEL PUMP BEFOPRE THEY REPLACE IT ..GET YOUR CAR TO ANOTHER SHOP AND FAST...THERE IS NO REASON WHY A SHOP CAN NOT TELL YOU IF THE FUEL PUMP IS THE PROBLEM OR THE IGNITION SYSTEM IS AT FAULT. TRUST ME, THERE ARE A FEW VERY SIMPLE TEST TO PERFORM TO CK FOR THE ABOVE PROBLEMS..I AM NOT SAYING THAT IT IS NOT THE FUEL PUMP BUT LETS BE SURE FIRST..THESE THINGS ARE NOT CHEAP..I WOULD ALSO SUGGEST THAT IF IT IS A FUEL PUMP PROBLEM REPLACE IT WITH A GM PUMP.. WE HAVE HAD MANY PROBLEMS WITH AFTERMARKET PUMPS !!!!THE FACT THAT THE ENG RUNS AND SHUTS OFF SOUNDS LIKE A FUEL PUMP PROBLEM.  A BLOWN ENGINE WILL NOT TURN OVER..GET BACK TO ME IF YOU NEED MORE HELP,GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM..

QUESTION: A few weeks before this happened, I had a lot of work done to my car by a mobile mechanic. He replaced the compressor, and head gaskets and also had the heads shaved. He also changed the oil from doing all the work with the engine for the heads. I was not having the oil gauge issue reading higher before this work was done. Is there any way this problem and also the fact the car randomly stopped running sounds like it could be related to this work that was done or does it just sound like bad luck and probably the fuel pump just went out ? This is not the same mechanic who told me it was probably the fuel pump. But when I told the mechanic who did the work what happened he claimed it was unrelated to anything he did. I know it's not possible to know for sure without actually looking at the car, but in your opinion could this be related
Or just fuel pump issue unrelated to prev work? Also, would the check gauge light come on if fuel pump died even though there is 1/4 tank of gas? I thought it might have been from the oil gauge being at 0 but I had no low oil gauge problems before this . Only it running high like I mentioned before .

Answer
HI KRISTINA,THE CK ENG LIGHT MAY COME ON AND SET A CODE FOR A LEAN MIXTURE PROBLEM IF THE FUEL PUMP FAILS..YOU DO MEAN THE CK ENG LIGHT ??? BUT THIS IS A 50-50 SHOT. SOMETIMES WHEN THE FUEL PUMP GOUES BAD IT WILL NOT SET A CK ENG LIGHT AT ALL. ALSO WHEN THE ENG STOPS AND THE KEY IS ON THE CK ENG LIGHT WILL COME ON  THIS IS NORMAL..YOU ASKED IF THIS WORK THAT WAS DONE BEFORE COULD IT BE RELATED..YES IF IT IS WITH THE IGN SYSTEM OR COULD HE OF LEFT SOMETHING LOOSE IN THE UPPER ENG OR THE ENG ASSEMBLY LIKE DIST OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS..BUT BEFORE WE SAY THIS LETS FIND THE PROBLEM FIRST. THEN WE WILL GO FROM THERE. IF THE FUEL PUMP JUST FAILED THAT THIS IS JUST A CASE OF BAD LUCK. THE LAST MECHANIC COULD NOT OF CAUSED THIS...LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT WITH THIS PROBLEM AND WE WILL GO ON FROM THERE. GOOD LUCK,,,TOM...  

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS