Chevrolet Repair/power steering fluid

Question
This is sort of a general question... I have a '96 Geo Tracker (it only has 85k on it). I took it in for routine maintenance and was told the power steering fluid was low and a flush/refill was recommended (it's never been done, which I'll do at some point). I instead had them just add some, which has also never been done. But I read online that this fluid doesn't go down from being 'used up' and a leak is usually the cause of this. So I don't see how a flush/refill would have helped. Seems they should have instead tried to find a leak? Or in your experience, is it normal for the power steering fluid to go down after 16 years? Thanks

Answer
GOOD MORNING LEE,LET ME GUESS THIS WAS FROM A QUICK OIL CHANGE PLACE ??? TO FLUSH THIS SYSTEM IS JUST A MONEY MAKER.. HERE IS THE DEAL, I WOULD NOT EVER FLUSH THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM UNLESS THE CAR WAS DRIVEN IN VERY DIRTY CONDITIONS SUCH AS THE DESERT. THE OIL IN THE SYSTEM WILL NEVER GET LOW AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO LEAKS..SO YOUR GEO HAS A VERY SLOW LEAK SOME WHERE. WOULD CK ALL THE LINES GOING TO THE PUMP AND RACK AND PINION STEERING..ALSO LOOK ON THE TOP SECTION OF THE RACK WHERE THE STEERING SHAFT GOES INTO THE RACK,THERE IS A SEAL THERE THAT SOMETIME LEAKS VERY SLOWLY.IF THIS IS WHERE IT IS FROM,, JUST KEEP A EYE ON IT AND ADD FLUID WHEN NECESSARY. NOW IF YOU DO NOT SEE ANY LEAKS EXTERNALLY THEN WHAT IS GOING ON IS ON THE INSIDE OF THE INNER TIE ROD ENDS YOU WILL SEE A RUBBER BOOT THAT MOVES WITH THE TIE ROD ENDS AND THE OTHER  SIDE IS CONNECTED TO THE RACK,WELL INSIDE THIS BOOT BY THE RACK THERE IS A INNER SEAL THAT WILL LEAK ISIDE THE BOOT AND YOU WILL NOT SEE THE LEAK UNTILL THE LEAK GETS REALLY BAD..IF THIS IS WHERE IT IS FROM A NEW RACK AND PINION WILL BE NEEDED..IF YOU WANT TO CK THIS JUST REMOVE THE CLAMP AROUND THE BOOT WHERE IT IS CONNECTED TO THE RACK,PULL THE BOOT OFF AND IF YOU SEE ANY OIL THERE, THAT SEAL IS LEAKING. YOU WILL FIND THE BOOTS ON THE LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE OF THE RACK.THE ABOVE IS [ONLY] IF YOU HAVE A RACK AND PINION STEERING.IF NOT THEN THERE ARE ONLY A FEW AREAS TO CK WIH THE OTHER STYLE SYSTEM,THE PUMP,LINES AND THE STEERING BOX. THESE LEAKS WILL ALL BE EXTERNAL TO CK.THIS SYSTEM HAS A STEERING GEAR BOX MOUNTED TO THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE FRAME IN PLACE OF THE RACK AND PINION STEERING THAT GOES ACROSSED THE LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT OF THE WHEELS....I HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK,,,TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS