Chevrolet Repair/1991 k1500 5.7l Clutch problems

Question
how do you tell if it is master cyl or slave cyl. that goes bad.about a week ago it was hard like normal to push clutch pedal in even harder for it to engage the starter.while starting to take off on day it had/made a pop feel/sound and became easier to push in but then the pedal started to shutter when 3/4 engaged not its smooth but only getting engagement at the bottom of the stroke.ive seen recent fluid in both locations but never have had to add fluid to it either...its cheap enough to replace either but not wanting to buy one install it and find i needed the other..any help would be greatly appreciated

Answer
HI JEFF,I DO NOT FEEL THE PROBLEM IS IN THE MASTER CYLINDER OR SLAVE. THIS SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THE PRESSURE PLATE IS BAD OR THE THROW OUT BEARING IS BINDING ON THE TRANSMISSION INPUT SHAFT...I WOULD SUGGEST REMOVING THE SLAVE CYLINDER FROM THE TRANS HOUSING AND PUSH VERY SLOWLY ON THE CLUTCH PEDAL WHILE SOMEONE WATCHES THE MOVEMENT OF THE SLAVE CYLINDER. IF THIS MOVES OK LIKE THIS THE CLUTCH IS THE PROBLEM..DO NOT PUSH DOWN REAL HARD OR FAST ON THE CLUTCH PEDAL WHEN THE LAVE CYLINDER IS REMOVED.YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO PUSH THE SLAVE CYLINDER BACK INTO ITS BORE AFTER DOING THIS..DO NOT LET IT BLOW OUT...OR YOU WILL NEED ONE FOR SURE THEN..IF THE PROBLEM IS IN THE CLUTCH I WOULD REPLACE THE SLAVE CYLINDER ANYWAY.. GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,, AND I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU...TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS