Chevrolet Repair/1992 Chevy Lumina Euro 3.4L Overheating on highway

Question
Winter just hit and now the car overheats on the highway.  It does not overheat in town or at idle when warming the car up.  Changed thermostat and rad cap.  Fluid in rad was full when pulled rad cap off.  Reservoir level is fine as well.  I have not seen the fans turn on, however, should they even be necessary when on the hwy?  Once you pull the car over the temp comes down.

I should also mention that on the last test drive after thermo and cap repl we got back to drive way and let it idle.  The temp rose to 3/4 but not to red.  I floored it and the rev limiter stopped it at 3,000 RPMs or so for a few seconds and the temp came down to half.

No water in oil, no smoke out exhaust, fluid appears to be clean and not bubbly when leaving rad cap off and warming up.  Also no visible leaks from pump.  The auto shops in this small town are backed up several weeks and this is our only car.  Please help.

Answer
MORNG TODD, YOU ARE CORRECT THE COOLING FANS WILL NOT COME AFTER 35 MPH..THEY DO NOT NEED TO. THERE IS ENOUGH AIR RUSHING INTO THE RADIATOR TO COOL THE ENG DOWN..THIS ENG HAS THE 4 CAM SET UP YES ??? I WOULD NEVER REV THE ENG UP AS YOU DID, FREE WHEELING A ENGINE AT THAT RPM IS NOT A GOOD PRACTICE..THE PROBLEM TO ME SOUNDS LIKE A POSSIBLE PARTIALLY PLUGGED RADIATOR,THIS IS JUST A GUESS. IS THERE ANYTHING IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR GRILLE AREA,IF SO REMOVE IT..IT IS LIKE THE COOLING SYSTEM CAN NOT KEEP UP AT HIGHER SPEEDS THIS USUALLY IS FROM THE RADIATOR, OR FAULTY [T-STAT,WE CAN RULE THAT OUT]...[BUT] NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS,, THIS COULD BE THE STARTING SYMPTOMS OF FAULTY HEADGASKETS..IF THIS IS THE CASE THIS PROBLEM WILL WORSEN IN TIME..SO  TRY TO FLUSH THE RAD REAL GOOD AND SEE IF THIS HELPS.IF THE COOLANT IS REAL DIRTY NOT ON TOP BUT LOWER DOWN IN THE RAD THIS COULD BE THE PROBLEM..LET ME NOW HOW IT GOES AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS