Chevrolet Repair/1998 Chevy Camaro

Question
QUESTION: Hi me and you have talked a lot. Mostly about our 2006 Chevy SSR. They figured out that the fuse block underhood is bad. I decided to degrease my motor today. It was 48 degrees today. So I sprayed it on the motor and the valve covers. I waited and then hosed it off. I started the car and now it smokes. I used gunk heavy duty engine degreaser. I sprayed it very well and then started it. I am guessing the grease got on the heads and it is causing it to smoke. What do you think. It was a 1998 Chevy Camaro.

ANSWER: HI SEAN, WHAT HAS HAPPENED IS ALL THE OIL THAT WAS ON TOP OF THE ENGINE HAS NOW RAN DOWN THE SIDE OF THE HEADS AND ON THE EXHAUST PIPE AND MAINIFOLD. LET IT RUN FOR WHILE TO GET IT HOT AND THIS WILL STOP. THIS IS THE ONE WITH THE LEAKY VALVE COVER GASKETS ???? TOM

QUESTION: That's what I thought happened. Yeah both valve covers are leaking so I am going to replace them probably tomorrow or sometime next week. Thanks for all the help. How long should I let it run. Also how long will it take before it quits smoking. Thanks.

Answer
WELL THAT AL LDEPENDS ON HOW MUCH OIL RAN DOWN THE BLOCK. I WOULD LET IT RUN FOR 30 MINUTES OR SO OR DRIVE IT LIKE THIS FOR A WHILE..ONCE ALL THE OIL IS BURNED OFF IT WILL STOP SMOKING,,I PROMISE.. GOOD LUCK WITH THE VALVE COVER GASKETS...JUST TAKE YOUR TIME, BECAUSE THERE ARE GOING TO BE SOME THINGS IN YOUR WAY AND IF YOU TRY TO PRY ON THEM THEY MAY BREAK BECAUSE THEY GET BRITTLE.  IF YOU HAVE A BURNZOMATIC TORCH TO WARM THE CLIPS UP OR HOSES THEY RELEASE ALOT EASIER. IT ADS IN REMOVAL..DON'T GET THEM REAL HOT JUST WARM ENOUGH TO REMOVE..GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS