Chevrolet Repair/99 chevy malibu, key won't turn in ignition

Question
QUESTION: replaced ignition cylinder and housing, new tumblers to match original key, new key from dealer.  it worked good at home key turning, I put it in ignition with the battery off still key was turning, I put the cover back plug the battery and put the GEAR SHIFT back to park. after that the key won't turn in the ignition.

I took the shifter assembly off and manually forced to shift gears to make sure the car is in park.

ANSWER: HI THOMAS, ,THE LOCK CYLINDER IS DEFECTIVE.PULL THE LOCK CYLINDER OUT AGIAN AND SEE IF THE KEY TURNS. I THINK A TUMBLER FELL. THIS IS THE LOCK CYLINDER THAT FITS IN THE DASH CORRECT, NOT THE COLUMN..IF THIS IS THE LOCK CYLINDER THAT FITS IN THE COLUMN LET ME KNOW..I CAN NOT REMEMBER WHAT YEAR THEY SWITCHED OVER..

QUESTION: the key must be turn to on position to release the cylinder

do you think the cable link (interlock next to the shifter could lock the cylinder?)

if no, is there a way to pick this lock, or only drilling it

Answer
HI THOMAS,SO THIS IS THE IGN LOCK THAT GOES IN THE DASH. HAVE YOU TRIED TO PUSH THE SHIFT LEVER ALL THE UP TO PARK WHILE TURNING THE KEY ??? IF NOT TRY THIS FIRST..WHEN THIS HAPPENS AT OUR SHOP WE PUT A VISE GRIPS ON THE KEY AND FORCE THE LOCK CYLINDER TO RUN POSITION TO GET THE LOCK OUT. IF YOU NEED TO DO THIS TIME FOR ANOTHER LOCK CYLINDER OF COURSE. YES YOU ARE CORRECT THE SHIFT CABLE OR INTERLOCK SOLENOID COULD BE CAUSING THIS TO HAPPEN. WHEN YOU PUT THE CABLE BACK INTO THE BACK SIDE OF THE SWITCH DID IT GO IN OK ??? HAVE YOU CHECKED ALL OF YOUR FUSES THE MAKE SURE THAT THE INTERLOCK CIRCUIT IS OK ??? AS FAR AS PICKING THIS LOCK GOES I DO NOT KNOW OF ANY WAY TO DO SO,AND IF YOU DID I DONT THINK THIS WOULD HELP YOU.THIS SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THE SHIFTER ASSEMBLY IS BAD CAUSING THIS TO LOCK UP LIKE THIS..SO TO SUM THIS UP,IF FUSES ARE OK, FORCE THE LOCK CYLINDER TO RUN OR DRILL IT OUT, REMOVE THE CABLE AND SEE IF THIS CABLE IS FREE, IF NOT TIME FOR SHIFTER ASSEML Y.SOMETIMES THINGS SPILL ON THIS SHIFTER CAUSING THESE PROBLEMS..LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS