Chevrolet Repair/Cavalier Timing Chain

Question
QUESTION: Hi

I have a 2004 Cavalier 2.2 ecotec
Stalled out just when i parked it,wont restart,cranks over.
i believe it has a timing issue,mainly because its had the rattle noise upper timing area like they do when the tensioners go bad.
Not having the money,i let it rattle knowing it would probably go out eventually.
I know these are interference engines
My question is....
What are the chances that the valves didn't get bent?
Have you seen these where it was JUST a Timing chain/guide/tensioner problem or is it always the valves too?
Would it be a waste of money to install the timing kit ?
I dont want to go further if it is the valves/engine etc....

If you can share your experiences and knowledge on this i would appreciate it.
Thanks for taking the time

Joe

ANSWER: MORNING JOE,WELL WE HAVE HAD ONLY 3 OF THE ENGINES TAKE OUT THE TIMING CHAINS AND EACH ONE BENT THE VALVES..$2200.00 JOB. THE CHAINS GAVE WAY BUT THE TENSIONERS WERE OK.BUT WE DID REPLACE THEM WITH A NEW CHAIN OF COURSE.. BUT BEFORE YOU JUNK THE MOTOR YOU COULD DO A CYLINDER LEAK DOWN TEST TO CK TO SEE IF THE VALVES BENT..IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THESE TYPE OF TOOLS YOU COULD TAKE IT TO SHOP THAT DOES HAVE THEM AND PAY FOR 1 HR DIAGNOSTIC TIME TO SEE IF IT DID BEND THE VALVES..
THIS WAY YOU WOULD KNOW FOR SURE..MIGHT BE WORTH IT IF THE OTHER PARTS OF YOUR CAR ARE IN GOOD SHAPE..SO LETS SAY YOUR VALVES DID NOT BEND THEN I FEEL IT IS WORTH REPAIRING THIS ENG..SORRY I CANT BE OF MORE HELP BUT THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WILL NEED TO DO SOME DIAGNOSTIC WORK ON TO TELL.

QUESTION: Hi Tom

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I have a follow up question for you.

Don't i have to replace the timing chain and related parts to get it in time before any leakdown test is done?

Im capable of replacing the timing components and R & R ing the cylinder head to have a valve job done if need be,but i dont have access to a leakdown tester.
I really dont want to be paying for towing to and from shop...i have to pay to get it to the place to work on it as it is.....
Or should i put on the timing parts and then do a compression check?

Is there any way of seeing how the valves move after taking the cam cover off to determine if valves may be bent?

Thanks again for your time
Really appreciate it.

Joe

Answer
GOOD MORNING JOE,WE NEED TO SEE HOW THE VALVES ARE SEATING TO SEE IF THEY ARE BENT..I WOULD SUGGEST REMOVE THE CAM AND ROCKERS..THIS WAY WE KNOW ALL THE VALVES ARE NOW CLOSED...NOW OPEN THE THROTTLE ALL THE WAY,,REMOVE OR LOOSEN THE EXH MANIFOLD AND PUT COMPRESSED AIR INTO EACH CYLINDER,ABOUT 75 TO 100 LBS WILL DO, ONE AT A TIME OF COURSE AND LISTEN IF YOU HEAR ANY AIR COMING THROUGH THE THROTTLE AREA OR EXHUAST PORTS FROM THE HEAD..IF SO YOU HAVE A BENT VALVE EITHER INTAKE OR EXHUAST.IF NO AIR IS HEARD ESCAPING THEN THE VALVES ARE SEATING AND NOT BENT.
IF YOU HEAR ANY AIR COMING OUT OF THAT CYLINDER PORT THEN ONE VALVE IS BENT EITHER EXHAUST VALVE OR INTAKE. THE VALVES WILL MOVE OK IT IS JUST THAT THE VALVE FACE OR SEAT IS BENT. WHICH YOU CAN NOT SEE..DO NOT TURN THE ENG OVER UNTILL THE CAM SHAFT OR ROCKERS ARE OUT OR OFF. THIS WAY THE VALVES ARE CLOSED ALL THE WAY AND CAN NOT BEND...GOOD LUCK LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT..TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS