Chevrolet Repair/check engine light and serpentine belt routing.

Question
QUESTION: Tom

I have a 1989 Chevy S10 with a 4.3 litre engine with AC. I ordered a book but trying to find out the belt routing on my truck. Also the belt broke on it and the fan clutch bolts where loose. Do you think the fan clutch came loose and caused the belt to go out? Also I got a scan tool from oreileys auto parts and tried to get the codes for the check engine light but it wouldn't give me any. I checked all the fuses and someone else used the scan tool and it gave them codes. Please let me know if you can help.

thanks
jason

ANSWER: HI JASON, YOUR SCAN TOOL IS THIS FOR A PRE OBD2 CAR ??? WHAT YEAR WAS YOUR FRIENDS CAR,IF IT WAS A 1996 OR OLDER YOU HAVE A SCAN TOOL FOR A OBD2 COMPUTER. SO THIS TOOL WOULD NOT WORK ON YOUR CAR. BUT LETS SAY IT IS A PRE OBD2 SCAN TOOL AND NO CODES ARE SHOWING. COULD BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE CONNECTOR CK IT AND MAKE SURE ALL THE PRONGS ARE ALL OK AND NOT BENT,MAKE SURE ALL THE FUSES ARE GOOD BY CHECKING THEM WITH A TEST LIGHT OR VOLT METER JUST TO BE SURE, I KNOW YOU SAID THEY WERE OK...THE LAST THING COULD BE A BAD COMPUTER WITH NO DATA BEING ABLE TO BE SCANNED. REMOVE A SPARK PLUG WIRE AND DRIVE IT LIKE THIS AS A TEST TO SEE IF THE CK ENG LIGHT FLASHES, IF NO, THE PCM COULD BE FAULTY..CK THE ABOVE AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT...AS FAR AS THE BELT COMING OFF IF THE FAN PULLEY WAS LOOSE THIS WILL ALWAYS THROW A BELT..AS FAR AS HOW YOUR DRIVE BELT ROUTING GOES DID YOU LOOK REAL GOOD ON THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE AREA FAN SHROUD AND ALL AROUND FOR THE STICKER WITH THE BELT ROUTING DIAGRAM ??? MOST CARS HAVE THEM,, BUT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE I WOULD SUGGEST GETTING ON LINE AND LOOKING THIS UP..I AM NOT AT WORK TODAY SO I CAN NOT HELP WITH THIS SORRY. I WOULD THINK YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND THIS ON LINE..HOPE THIS INFO HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK,,,,TOM..

QUESTION: Tom

I have a 1998 chevy cavalier with the brake and abs light on in the dash. Do you have a wiring schematic or advice on this?

thanks
jason

Answer
GOOD MORNING JASON, THE REASON BOTH ABS AND BRAKE LIGHT ARE ON IS BECAUSE THE ABS COMPUTER HAS FOUND A PROBLEM WITH YOUR ABS SYSTEM WHICH WILL TURN ON BOTH LIGHTS. NO WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDED FOR THIS..WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO DO IS GET THIS SCANNED WITH A SCAN TOOL THAT CAN READ[ABS SYSTEMS] THIS WILL FIND A CODE IN THE SYSTEM AND TELL YOU WHAT HAS FAILED ...A GUESS WOULD BE A WHEEL SPEED SENSOR VERY COMMON PROBLEM. IF YOU WANTED TO LOOK AT ALL THE WIRING GOING TO EACH WHEEL SPEED SENSOR JUST TO MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO BROKEN WIRES TO EACH SENSOR TO JUST MAKE SURE BEFORE YOU HAVE IT SCANNED..LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES FOR YOU,, AND GOOD LUCK,,,TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS