Chevrolet Repair/chevy silverado z71 ext cab 4 wheel drive

Question
i have been trying to help my sister find the problem with her brake lights!  When she applies her brakes the brake light on the back window comes on, but the ones on her tail gate does not! she has checked the fuses and bulbs. she works until 6 pm which then drives 45 minutes to get home and is about to have her 3rd child. I really need help on what to do ...I have read your history and i believe you are the one to trust! also i am thankful it is free. I have told many people about your website/ thanks
jennifer  

Answer
HI JEENIFER, THANKS FOR THE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE !!! THIS IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM..DO YOU HAVE A TEST LIGHT ??? WE WANT TO CK FOR 12 VOLTS..TAKE ONE OF THE TAIL LIGHT LENS OFF THE BACK OF THE TRUCK,UNPLUG THE HARNESS AND CK FOR POWER ON THIS HARNESS..YOU WILL HAVE 3 TO 5 WIRES GOING TO THIS, TURN SIGNAL,REVERSE LIGHT, PARKING LIGHT, AND BRAKE LIGHT AND A GROUND..USE YOUR TEST LIGHT OR A 12 VOLT METER TO CK FOR POWER GOING TO THE PARKING LIGHT WHICH YOU KNOW WORKS AND HAVE TURNED THEM ON FOR THIS TEST, JUST TO CK FOR A GOOD GROUND ON YOUR TEST LIGHT OR METER. ONCE YOU KNOW THE TEST LIGHT HAS A GOOD GROUND BY THE PARKING LIGHT WIRE NOW YOU CAN TURN OFF THE PARKING LIGHTS AND HAVE SOMEONE PUSH DOWN ON THE BRAKE PEDAL AND CK FOR 12 VOLTS ON THIS WIRE. IF POWER IS TO THIS POINT THEN THE PRINTED CIRCUIT TO THE LIGHT HOUSING IS BAD..BUT CK FIRST..IF THERE IS NO POWER TO THE BRAKE LIGHT WIRE AT THE HARNESS YOU WILL NEED TO CK UNDER THE TRUCK DRIVERS SIDE AROUND THE FRAME AREA TOWARDS THE REAR AND YOU WILL SEE A PLUG CONNECTOR AT THIS POINT..UNPLUG THIS CONNECTOR AND YOU SHOULD FIND YOUR PROBLEM HERE AT THIS CONNECTION..THESE WILL CORRODE..CK FOR ANY GREEN CORRODED WIRES OR BROKEN WIRES. REPAIR AS NECESSARY. POSS NEW PLUG OR JUST BYPASS THE PLUG WITH BUTT CONNECTORS TO THE WIRE THAT IS BAD AND USE  [VERY IMPORTANT SHRINK TUBING]THIS WILL SEAL THE WIRE FROM WATER. CAN BUY THE BUTT CONNECTORS AND SHRINK TUBING AT ANY PART STORES..JUST SLIDE THE CORRECT SIZE OF TUBING OVER THE WIRE BEFORE YOU REPAIR IT..ONCE CONNECTED SLIDE THE SHRINK TUBING OVER THE REPAIR AND HEAT IT WITH A HEAT GUN IF YOU HAVE ONE OR USE A SMALL LIGHTER BEING CAREFULL NOT TO BURN THE SHRINK TUBE..ONCE IT IS WARMED YOU WILL SEE IT SHRINK AROUND THE WIRE FOR A TIGHT SEAL..I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK,,,TOM..  

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS