Chevrolet Repair/distributor cap

Question
I replaced all the gaskets on a pre vortec chevy 350 engine in a 1983 chevy corvette. when I tried to start the engine after replacing the gaskets it would backfire through the carb and would not start. I changed the distributor cap(which was in need of replacement) but i still only get a backfire. could you tell me how to find where the number one wire goes on the distributer, just in case i have them mixed up. i know which cylinder is number one on the motor. I also tried turning distributor 180 degrees and got no fire what so ever. is there any other suggestions where my problem may be in addition to wires. It shouldn't have jumped time because it has gears instead of a timing chain.

Answer
HI SHERRY, THIS ENGINE HAS A TMING CHAIN,AND CAM AND CRANK GEARS. HOWEVER IF THIS ENG WAS RUNNING BEFORE YOU REPLACED THE GASKETS I DONT FEEL YOUR PROBLEM IS HERE. YOU DID NOT TELL ME WHAT GASKETS YOU REPLACED !! IF IT WAS THE INTAKE AND YOU REMOVED THE DIST THEN MORE THEN LIKELY THE DIST IS OFF..FIRING ORDER IS 18436572 LEFT BANK DRIVERS SIDE =1357 PASS BANK =2468 YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO REMOVE THE DIST CAP AND GET THE ENG UP TO TDC.THE ROTOR SHOUD BE SOMEWHERE POINTING TOWARDS THE FRONT OF THE ENG,IF POINTING TO THE REAR YOU ARE 180 OUT. TURN THE ENG AGAIN TIL THE TDC IS UP AGAIN NOW THE ROTOR SHOULD BE POINTING TOWARDS THE FRONT OF THE ENG..THIS IS #1 [COMPRESSION STROKE] MARK THE DIST CASE WITH SOME CHAUK SO WHEN YOU PUT THE DIST CAP BACK ON YOU CAN SEE THE MARK. NOW GET # 1 PLUG WIRE  AND PUT IT ON THE DIST CAP TOWER WHERE THE CHAULK MARK IS FOR  #1>>> NEXT IS #8 4,3,6,5,7,2 GOING ON THE CAP CLOCKWISE POSITION..LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED MORE HELP BUT I THINK THIS ENG IS JUST OUT OF TIME..GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND LET ME KNOW....TOM.

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS