Chevrolet Repair/Door lock

Question
Hello Tom,

I have a Cavalier 2004 with only 42K miles. It's very well kept. I took it for an oil chg to Sears, and when I got it back and inserted the key in the drivers' door lock, the key turns freely clockwise like 1/4 of a turn, and counter-clockwise like 1/4 of a turn without the usual resistence, and the door doesn't open. I have to open the passenger's door and remove the driver's door lock from inside. The key works in the igition switch, the trunk and all other locks except this one, and opening the driver's door from inside works fine. Have you seen this problem before or know the cause or how to fix it?

Thank you in advance. I appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rick

Answer
GOOD MORNING RICK,,YES I HAVE SEEN THIS MANY, MANY TIMES..YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE YOUR DRIVERS INNER DOOR PANEL AND I THINK WHAT YOU WILL FIND IS THE LOCK ACTUATOR ROD HAS FALLEN OFF THE LOCK CYLINDER..LOOK AT THE LOCK CYLINDER FROM THE INSIDE AND YOU SHOULD FIND A ROD ON THE LOCK CYLINDER ITSELF AND THE OTHER END OF THIS ROD GOES TO THE DOOR LATCH ASSEMBLY THIS IS WHAT LOCKS THE DOOR..THERE IS A CLIP THAT HOLD BOTH ENDS OF THE ROD TO THE LOCK CYLINDER AND LATCH ASSEMBLY. I THINK YOU WILL FIND ONE OF THE ENDS IS NOT ATTATCHED. MORE THEN LIKELY IF YOU LOOK TO THE BOTTOM OF THE INSIDE OF THE DOOR YOU WILL FIND THE CLIP THAT FELL OFF OR BROKE OFF. NOW AS TO WHY THIS HAPPENED I WILL GUESS SOMEONE AT SEARS LOCKED THE DOOR WITH THE KEY IN THE IGNITION AND THEY NEEDED TO SLIM JIM THE DOOR LOCK TO OPEN IT, BREAKING OFF THE CLIP...JUST A GUESS, OR THE CLIP JUST BROKE..HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK,,,TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS