Chevrolet Repair/Silverado accessories

Question
QUESTION: I have a 2003 Chev Silverado 1500 with the 5.3l in it. I sometimes have problems with the power steering (hard to turn at idle), or lights going dim when coming to a stop. Also, there is a squeal when starting the engine in cold weather.

I also keep getting a "low coolant" message when I come to a stop, but as soon as I hit the accelerator the message goes out. I have checked the coolant level and it seems to be fine.

Can you help with both?

ANSWER: HI BRIAN, LETS TALK ABOUT THE POWER STEERING AT IDLE, THIS IS COMMON,THE POWER STEERING PUMP DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH PRESSURE AT IDLE TO KEEP THE POWER ASSIST UP TO PAR...THERE WAS ALMOST A RECALL ON THIS ISSUE..BUT YOU GUESSED IT,,, NOT YET..YOU CAN GET A NEW UPDATED PUMP TO INSTALL WHICH WILL CORRECT THIS PROBLEM...AS FAR AS THE LIGHTS GOING DIM AT IDLE,THIS DOES NOT RAISE CONCERN,AS THE IDLE DROPS DOWN THE ALTERANTOR OUTPUT WILL DROP VOLTAGE. THIS IS NORMAL..YOU COULD HOOK UP A VOLT METER TO YOUR BATTERY AND CK FOR VOLTAGE WHEN LIGHTS ON AT IDLE @ 1500 RPM'S SHOULD BE ABOUT 13.8 TO 14.5 VOLTS IF SO THE ALTERNATOR IS GOOD. ANYTHING LESS THEN THIS TIME FOR A NEW ALTERNATOR..BUT KEEP IN MIND ONCE YOU ARE AT IDLE 700 RPM'S THE VOLTAGE WILL DROP TO 12.5 VOLTS OR THERE ABOUTS >>> THIS WILL INTURN,, DIM YOUR LIGHTS. THIS IS[NORMAL].. AS FAR AS THE LOW COOLANT LIGHT ,THIS SOUNDS LIKE A DEFECTIVE COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR IN THE RADIATOR TANK..THIS SENSOR GOES BAD AND THINKS THE COOLANT LEVEL IS LOW BUT IS NOT...I WOULD REPLACE THIS SENSOR IN THE RADIATOR TANK.LET ME KNOW HOW THIS WORKS OUT FOR YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,TOM..

QUESTION: Thanks for the info. I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with either the belt or the tensioner pulley (the squeal) since all my issues are connected by the belt and I experience it when it is cold and/or wet outside. Thanks again.

Answer
HI BRIAN,THE SQUEAL IS MORE THEN LIKELY FROM A GLAZED BELT OR MOISTURE ON THE BELT SURFACE OR PULLYS..IF IT WERE DOING THIS ALL THE TIME THEN I WOULD THINK,,LOOSE BELT..ALSO,,IF YOU WOULD NOT MIND RATING MY ANSWER THIS WILL HELP ME KEEP A STANDING WITH ALL EXPERTS..THNAKS IN ADVANCE AND IF YOU NEED MORE INFO LET ME KNOW..TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS