Chevrolet Repair/1989 Chevy Celebrity

Question
QUESTION: I own a 89 Celebrity and it had been running well.  Stopped for a light on the way to the store and just as I got through the light the engined died.  Had to coast it into the parking lot.  It would restart and run for about 10 to 15 seconds and die again.  We replaced the fuel filter and alternator because both needed to be replaced anyway.  Can not find any vacuum leaks.  It does not sputter when it dies it is like you shut the key off.  Checked for the fuel pump sound and could hear it run when the key gets turned on but the car doesn't run long enough for me to hear it after starting it.  Really need this car as my son is using it as his family car.

ANSWER: HI HELEN,,WELL THIS COULD EITHER BE A FUEL PROBLEM OR IGNITION PROBLEM..I WOULD REALLY NEED TO KNOW WHEN THIS SHUTS DOWN IF THERE IS FUEL AT THE ENGINE OR SPARK AT THE SPARK PLUGS...I WILL SAY THIS SOUNDS LIKE A IGNITION FAILURE TO ME. A GUESS WOULD BE FAULTY IGNITION COIL OR IGNITION MODULE..THESE PARTS WILL LET THE ENG START AND THEN DIE ONCE THEY GET WARMED UP..BUT TO FIND OUT FOR SURE WHEN THIS STOPS RUNNING CK FOR FUEL AT THE FUEL RAIL SHARDER VALVE..THIS WILL LOOK LIKE A TIRE VALVE STEM CAP ON A 3/8 FUEL LINE.. REMOVE THE CAP AND PUSH THE VALVE DOWN INSIDE WHILE SOMEONE IS CRANKING THE ENGINE OVER..THERE SHOULD BE FUEL COMING OUT OF THIS VALVE THE ENTIRE TIME THE ENGINE IS CRANKING OVER. TRY IT FOR 10 SECONDS OR SO..BECAUSE THERE MAYBE PRESSURE THERE FOR 1 OR 2 SECONDS AND STOP..THIS IS CALLED RESIDUAL PRESSURE/THIS WILL FOOL YOU ALL THE TIME...WE NEED FUEL THE ENTIRE TIME THE ENG IS CRANKING OVER.....SO LETS SAY THERE IS FUEL BUT STILL NO START. REMOVE ANY ONE SPARK PLUG WIRE AND PUT A SCREW DRIVER IN THE WIRE,NOW PUT THE SCREW DRIVER ABOUT 1/4 INCH AWAY FROM ANY METAL SURFACE YOU CAN FIND ON THE ENGINE,HAVE SOMEONE CRANK THE ENGINE OVER AND SEE IF THERE IS SPARK JUMPING FROM THE SCREW DRIVER TO THE METAL SURFACE...I BET THERE WILL BE NO SPARK..DO NOT LET THE SCREW DRIVER TOUCH THE METAL GROUND BECAUSE YOU MAY NOT SEE IT SPARK..JUST LEAVE IT AWAY FROM THE METAL SURFACE..DO NOT HOLD ON TO THE SCREW DRIVER WHILE CRANKING IT OVER BECAUSE IF THERE IS SPARK YOU WILL GET SHOCKED....LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM...

QUESTION: Yes there is fuel.  It will run for 10 to 15 seconds before shutting down again.  If you let it sit for a long period of time it will run up to a minute.  Like if something got to hot in the starting process and had a chance to cool off completely.  I was wondering if it could be in the ignition switch itself?

Answer
HI HELEN,,YES THE IGN SWITCH COULD CAUSE THIS. BUT ON THIS TYPE OF CAR I WOULD NOT THINK SO. I HAVE NEVER RUN INTO THIS WITH THIS KIND OF CAR....THIS IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM FOR THE IGNITION COIL OR IGNITION MODULE TO CAUSE THIS...THEY GET HOT AND FAIL. COOL OFF AND START .CK FOR SPARK WHEN THIS HAPPENS AND MORE THEN LIKELY THIS IT WHAT IT WILL NEED..LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM.

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS