Chevrolet Repair/2004 ZR2 chevy blazer sylinoid issue

Question
when trying to turn off the key, it gets stuck and you can't always get it out, which leaves the battery on.  If you wait a while you can try to get it out again and usually it will, but not always.  I had a lock smith look & he said it was a cylinoid in the top of the steering wheel??  I need to get/replace the cylinoid but am not sure what to ask for.....its not the lock cylinder that the key goes in, its on top of the steering wheel.  Any suggestions????

Answer
HI AUDRA,THIS IS THE SHIFT INTERLOCK SOLENOID THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT..THIS PREVENTS YOU FROM PUTTING THE CAR IN GEAR UNTILL YOUR FOOT IS ON THE BRAKE TO RELEASE IT...[SAFTY FEATURE]
THE STEERING COLUMN WILL NEED TO COME APART IN SECTIONS...IF YOU HAVE NOT WORKED ON SOMETHING LIKE THIS IN THE PAST I WOULD TAKE IT TO YOUR LOCAL SHOP. YOU COULD GOOGLE THIS AND SEE IF THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WANT TO TRY AND TACKLE YOURSELF BY LOOKING AT THE PICTURES.....GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOM,, AND IF YOU NEED MORE HELP LET ME KNOW...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS