Chevrolet Repair/2005 Chevy Cavalier

Question
Tom,

HELP!!!!

Have a broken wheel stud on this 2005 cavalier.

Got it out OK---BUT---impossible to get the new stud back in the hole--not enough room.
So obviously, something has to be loosened, right?
That would be the wheel hub?
Do I just loosen the big nut on the axle?
(remember what size socket that is?)

Or do I also have to loosen the 3 Torx bolts and tap on the hub?

I could finish the brakes in 15 minutes, but this stupid stud is holding up the works>

HELP!!!!

Thank you.
Hope you are having a great weekend!

Answer
HI MIKE,,DO NOT TAKE OFF THE BIG HUB AXLE NUT UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING ON REMOVING THE ENTIRE WHEEL BEARING HUB ASSEMBLY WHICH WILL NOT HELP YOU !!!!I CAN NOT REMEMBER HOW MUCH ROOM THERE IS ON THIS YEAR CAR...IF YOU TAKE THE 3 TORX BOLTS OUT TO REMOVE THE HUB ASSEMBLY THEN YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE AXLE NUT,BUT THIS IS NOT GOING TO BUY YOU ANY MORE ROOM. THE HUB AND BEARING CASE ARE STILL GOING TO BE IN YOUR WAY.THEY WILL STILL BE TOGETHER. YOU [[CAN NOT REMOVE THE HUB FROM THE BEARING WITHOUT DESTROYING IT]] THE LAST ONE I DID I AM ALMOST CERTAIN THERE WAS ENOUGH ROOM TO GET THE STUD TO GO INTO THE BACK SIDE OF THE HUB. IN FACT I AM VERY SURE OF IT..COULD YOU GRIND ONE SIDE OF THE SHOULDER OF THE NEW STUD OFF JUST ENOUGH TO GET THE CLEARANCE YOU NEED...I THINK THIS IS WHAT I DID..GOOD LUCK TO YOU LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES...TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS