Chevrolet Repair/454 crate motor problem

Question
The beast
The beast  
My 1992 gmc Sierra custom has a 454 crate motor that's lifted on 40's. in other words, it's a bit of a beast. My husband was driving it back from the store one day and he stalled out going down a hill. It just seemed to die. That's makes me think its an alternator / electrical shortage problem. I'm not sure. I wasn't in the truck. Then he tells me that the it's overheating -temp maxed out. Them the battery dies. Mr. Know itall goes to AA and gets another thermostat. But doesn't realize he has gotten the thermostat for the stock engine in the truck. Genius, I know. I got into my other truck (diesel) and towed him all the way home without brakes and bla bla bla. I want my truck fixed but I don't want to get swindled when bringing it to a garage (I'm a chick) so I was looking for some advice before I do that. I've already got the battery recharged and there was some corrosion on the battery and connections. It also has a system. Any ideas? Thoughts? At least so I am prepared when going to a shop.

Answer
HI KATE,, THAT IS A BEAST !!!! YOU SAY IT HAS A SYSTEM, I WILL ASSUME YOU MEAN ALARM SYSTEM..I AM GOING WITH THAT..WELL THIS IS STRANGE,OVERHEATING AND ELECTRICALLY DEAD...IF A CUSTOMER CAME INTO OUR SHOP AND TOLD ME THIS I WOULD THINK THE ALTERNATOR BELT FELL OFF..THIS DRIVES THE WATER PUMP AS WELL. SO OVERHEATING,YES AND NO CHARGE...BUT I AM SURE YOU CHECKED THE BELTS TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE OK..SO IT IS POSSIBLE THAT YOU HAVE TWO SEPARATE PROBLEMS HERE...I WOULD HAVE THIS COOLING SYSTEM PRESSURE TESTED TO CK FOR ANY LEAKS..CORRECT IF YOU FIND ANY OF COURSE...IF NO LEAKS FOUND I WOULD GET THE CORRECT T-STAT FOR THIS BIG RAT 454 MOTOR AND INSTALL IT AND SEE HOW THIS GOES....I WILL ALSO ASSUME THE FAN IS WORKING OKAY,ALSO THE FAN BLADE IS 1/2 INCH INSIDE AND 1/2 INCH OUTSIDE THE SHROUD...THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR PROPER COOLING..SO IF ALL THIS IS OK AND YOU PUT A NEW STAT IN THEN LETS HOPE FOR THE BEST. ALSO MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING A 50-50 ANTI- FREEZE AND WATER MIX..IF IT STILL OVERHEATS THIS MAY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH BAD HEADGASKETS..BUT LETS NOT GO DOWN THIS ROAD TILL YOU MAKE SURE ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE OK...NOW AS FOR THE NO CHARGING PROBLEM,,HAVE YOU CHECKED FOR POWER ON THE BIG WIRE GOING TO THE BACK SIDE OF THE ALTERNATOR..SHOULD HAVE 12 VOLTS HERE,IF NOT TRACE THIS WIRE FROM EITHER THE BATTERY OR STARTER FOR A FAULTY CONNECTION OR BREAK IN THE WIRE..REPAIR IT AND IF YOU HAVE A VOLT METER HOOK IT UP TO THE BATTERY AND START HER UP.[IT IS A HER CORRECT]YOU WANT TO HAVE 13.8 VOLTS TO 14.5 VOLTS RUNNING WITH THE LIGHTS ON AND RPM'S AROUND 1200..IF NOT CHARGING TO THESE SPECS I WOULD REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR. I WOULD SUSPECT THE ALTERNATOR IS NOT CHARGING..[[YOU COULD REPLACE THIS YOUR SELF AND SAVE YOURSELF SOME $$$]] THIS WOULD CAUSE IT TO DIE WHILE RUNNING..SO LET ME KNOW HOW THE BEAST DOES AND GET BACK TO ME IF YOU NEED TO,,,GOOD LUCK TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS