Chevrolet Repair/Brakes and Info

Question
QUESTION: Tom,

I talked to you a few weeks ago about 350 Chevy engines and transmissions...

1--What is your opinion about a 305 engine hooked to a 400 trans and a Jag rear end?

2--What size hex socket (or whatever you call the tool) is needed to remove the brake caliper on a 2005 Cavalier?

Thank you.

ANSWER: HI MIKE,,WELL A 305 IS NOT THE BEST ENG IN THE WORLD. IT IS OK BUT JUST THAT. UNDER POWER AND THEY HAVE SOME CAMSHAFT PROBLEMS...TURBO 400 TRANSMISSION IS THE BEST THERE IS IN MY BOOK..AS FAR AS THE JAG REAR DIFF. THERE GOOD..NOT CHEAP HOWEVER..THE PARKING BRAKES ON MOST OF THESE WERE ON ROTORS ON THE INNER SIDE OF THE DIFF. THEY WORK GOOD, BUT A REAL PAIN TO WORK ON.PARTS ARE BIG $$$$
YOUR LAST QUESTION IS NOT THAT CUT AND DRY MOST USED A 3/8 ALLEN HEAD AND SOME HAD A TORX TIP, KINDA OF LOOKS LIKE A STAR.. SIZE OF THIS IS A 45 MM OR 50 MM. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM

QUESTION: So I take it that the 305 is NOT the same block as a 350, right?

On the Jag rear end---can the parts be changed out to American stuff?

Does the Jag rear have axle bearings inside the axle?

Is the parking brake actuated by a handle?

The brake pads have a hex hed---you said that it was 3/8---could it possibly be any other size?

Thanks Tom--you are amazing---as always.

Answer
HI MIKE,THE 305 IS THE SAME BLOCK [FAMED SMALL BLOCK] JUST SMALLER CU IN. SMALLER PISTONS WEAKER COMPONETS..BUT AGAIN IF YOU ARE DRIVING THIS LIKE A OLD LADY AND REBUILT THE UPPER HALF OF THE ENG WITH NEW CAM AND VALVE JOB. THIS WILL BE OK...I WOULD PUT A 350 IN IT BUT THATS ME..IF YOU CAN GET A GOOD DEAL ON A 305 DO IT...AS FAR AS PARTS ON THE JAG REAR DIFF. NOTHING IN THE AMERICAN LINE WOULD FIT THIS,,SORRY.ON MOST OF THE JAGS I HAVE SEEN THE PARKING BRAKE HAS BEEN ACTUATED BY A FLOOR HANDLE,YES..IF THIS CAVALIER HAS A HEX HEAD [ALEN HEAD] IT IS FOR EITHER A 3/8" OR [10 MM---A TOUCH LARGER] UNLESS SOMEONE HAS REPLACED THE CALIPERS WITH AFTER MARKET ONES.. THEN I CAN NOT SAY...GOOD LUCK AS ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD DAY...TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS