Chevrolet Repair/Starting Issues

Question
QUESTION: Having an intermittent starting issues with our 1993 GMC Vandura 3500 diesel. Ignition lock replaced. Starter replaced. Cables replaced. Outside temperature does not seem to be a factor. Also the van requires the brake pedal to be depressed before moving gear selector, but it can be done without doing so.  It maybe the ignition switch actuator, but I have no way of telling...your thoughts?

ANSWER: HI LAVIN,,WELL LETS START OUT WITH THE GEAR SHIFT BEING ABLE TO SHIFT WITHOUT THE BRAKE PEDAL ACTUATED..THIS SOUNDS LIKE CABLE IF THIS HAS ONE GOING FROM THE IGN LOCK TO A SOLENOID TO RELEASE THE SHIFTER..THIS COULD OF BEEN AFFECTED WHEN THEY INSTALLED A NEW IGN LOCK CYLINDER...
THE OTHER PROBLEM IS THE SOLENOID THAT LOCKS THE SHIFTER IS STUCK IN THE OPEN MODE...WE HAVE SEEN THIS FROM TIME TO TIME...WHEN THIS TRUCK WILL NOT START UP AGAIN TURN THE KEY TO THE ON POSITION AND MOVE THE SHIFTER IN NEUTRAL AND SES IF IT STARTS LIKE THIS IF NOT MOVE THE SHIFTER SLIGHTLY UP OR DOWN SEE IF IT STARTS LIKE THIS.. IF IT DOES THE NEUTRAL SAFTY SWITCH IS MORE THEN LIKELY FAULTY OR OUT OF ADJUSTMENT..GET BACK TO ME IF YOU NEED MORE INFO OR WHAT YOU FIND AND WE WILL GO ON FROM THERE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM...

QUESTION: Thanks Tom,
The van had this problem before the new ignition switch was installed - whether or not there is a relationship there I don't know. Also, when acting up, the van will not start in neutral or if the lever is moved slightly one way or another. Problem is that right now it starts fine, but left me minor stranded yesterday as it has in the past.....???

ANSWER: HI LAVIN, WELL IF IF THIS PROBLEM WITH THE SHIFTER WAS THERE BEFORE THE IGN LOCK INSTALLED MORE THEN LIKE THE ELECTRIC SOLENOID THAT LOCKS THIS IS BAD...NOT A BIG DEAL AS LONG AS YOU ARE AWARE OF IT AND YOUR THE ONLY ONE DRIVING THIS....WOULD NEED TO CK POWER THIS SOLENOID TO SEE IF THIS IS THE PROBLEM OR NOT.IF POWER IS THERE THEN THE SOLENOID IS BAD..MOST PEOPLE DONT WORRY ABOUT IT.SOME DO...AS FAR AS THE NO START PROBLEM..MAYBE YOU HAVE DONE THIS, BUT IF NOT WHEN THIS WILL NOT CRANK OVER YOU NEED TO GET UNDER THIS WHILE SOMEONE IS HOLDING THE KEY TO THE CRANK POSITION AND SEE IF THERE IS POWER ON THE SMALL PURPLE WIRE TO THE SOLENOID...THIS POWERS THE STARTER FROM THE IGN SWITCH...IF NO POWER MAY HAVE BAD IGNITION SWITCH,NEUTRAL SAFTY SWITCH OR WIRING PROBLEM TO AND FROM THIS SPOT..MAKE SURE ALL CONNECTIONS FROM THE BATTERY ARE ALL CLEAN AND TIGHT ALL GROUNDS DO NOT OVER LOOK THIS..IF THERE IS POWER TO THIS SMALL WIRE  AND BIG 12 VOLT MAIN PLUS CABLE AT THE STARTER THE STARTER IS DEFECTIVE..LETS NOT ASSUME THE STARTER IS OK..REBUILT UNITS ARE WELL LETS SAY SO SO...GOOD LUCK TOM....

QUESTION: Would that lock out solenoid keep it from starting? Did I mention that when it doesn't start the starter solenoid "does" kick in. As I said its hard to determine because now it is starting. Hate to keep replacing items when its a guess. Starter is suppose to be new...suppose to be. I feel it might be in the interlock system somehow though I don't really know how that affects the ignition and I don't think the starter solenoid would kick in if the neutral safety switch was bad or am I wrong.....Hmmmm

Answer
HI LAVIN,THE SHIFT INNER LOCK WILL NOT STOP IT FROM STARTING THIS WILL HAVE NO AFFECT ON THE STARTER....ALL THIS DOES IS IT MAKES YOU PUT YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE BEFORE YOU PUT IT IN GEAR THAT ALL....SAFTY REASONS...IF YOU HEAR THE STARTER SOLENOID CLICK IN WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY, THERE ARE ONLY TWO THINGS THAT CAN CAUSE THIS,,DEFECTIVE STARTER OR CORRODED CONECTIONS EITHER AT THE STARTER OR BATTERY CABLES,LOW VOLTAGE TO THE STARTER. IF NO CLICK WAS HEARD THEN  WE KNOW THERE IS NO POWER TO THE STARTER FROM THE ING SWITCH......CK ALL YOU CONNECTIONS VERY IMPORTANT...LET ME KNOW TOM......

PS ,IF YOU CAN MAKE THIS CLICK AND YOUR UNDER THE TRUCK TRY TO JUMP THE SMALL SOLENOID WIRE WITH THE BIG CENTER POST CABLE AND AS LONG AS YOU HAVE 12 VOLTS ON THE BIG CABLE CENTER POST THIS STARTER SHOULD CRANK OVER.. IF NOT THE STARTER IS FAULTY...THIS WAY YOU ARE BY PASSING EVERYTHING THING ELSE..LET ME KNOW GOOD LUCK,,TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS