Chevrolet Repair/ignition switch

Question
QUESTION: can the ignition switch be remove without damaging the housing or steering column if you dont have a key i have spoken to you on several occasions and you have helped me out greatfully i purchased a good steering column at a salvage yard for my frankenstien truck i recently purchase i would like to install my switch into the replacement steering column  but the replacement column has a switch but no key can you help me please thanks question 2 i checked every number on this truck all the vin numbers match a 97 s10 zr2 except for the cab the cab vin number is for a 96 s10 and the number on the title is for the 96 cab will there be a problem interchanging parts or getting the vehicle titled again or will i have to have 2 titles can you help me here also thank you very much  tracy bearden

ANSWER: HI TRACY,,YES TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT REMOVING YOUR IGN LOCK CYLINDER. PULL THE STEERING WHEEL. USE A PLIERS OR VISE GRIPS TO TURN THE LOCK CYLINDER TO THE RUN POSITION, NOW INSERT A 1/16 ALLEN WRENCH DOWN INTO THE LOCK RELASE AND PULL THE LOCK CYL OUT....YOU MAY WANT TO GOOGLE THIS TO CK OUT THE PIXS FOR THIS JOB....AS FAR AS PARTS CHANGING AROUND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO MUCH PROBLEMS WITH THIS.THEY SHOULD ALL; INTERCHANGE....AS FAR AS VIN#'s GO I CANT ANSWER YOUR STATES RULES OR REGULATIONS. SORRY..GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM..

QUESTION: hi tom i have another question for you in trying to figure out more info on my project s10 zr2 heres my question did the zr2 have wheel spacers installed with  the factory rims for the extra wide stance it had or was the factory wheels for that model rider than the standard wheels if you could help i would appreciate it thanks tracy bearden

ANSWER: HI TRACY,,AS FAR AS I KNOW I HAVE NEVER SEEN A FACTORY CAR OR TRUCK WITH ANY KIND OF WHEEL SPACERS THAT THEY PUT ON THE HUBS TO SPACE THE WHEEL OUT FURTHER.....NEVER.....I HAVE SEEN FACTORY WHEELS WITH A LARGER OFF SET TO MAKE THEM STICK OUT FURTHER THEN A STANDARD MODEL WHEEL. IF YOUR TRUCK HAS A SPACER ON THE WHEEL HUBS MORE THEN LIKELY THIS WAS DONE IN THE AFTERMARKET WORLD....DONT FORGET YOU CAN ALWAYS CALL YOUR GM DEALER AND GIVE THEM YOUR TRUCKS  V ID#S AND THEY CAN TELL YOU WHAT CAME ON YOUR TRUCK FROM FRONT TO REAR.... I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU..GOOD LUCK ,,,TOM

QUESTION: sorry to keep bugging you but im stilltrying to work out some bugs on the s-10 i purchased  the brake light is staying on on my instrument cluster but ive checked the brakes and they are in real good shape what could be the problem with them the only thing i had to replace was the booster can you help with this question 2 is my air bag light is staying illuminated and i cant find any thing wrong with this system either what can be causing this please help me with this thank you question 3 i replaced the steering column with on that was made for this model with all the correct  parts that the manufacturer says is supposed to be installed on it everything is installed correctly but when you apply the brake to shift from park it will not shift i have to turn the key like trying to crank it and shift out of park at the same time to get it to shift it will crank in neutral and still wont crank when it is in park can you help me figure this out also thank you for your patiance and thank you for helping he solve some of the other problems it had  ive also done my home work on this body style of vehicle and it has turned out to be a standard s-10 extra cab 4x4 and not a zr2

Answer
HI TRACY,CK THE PARKING BRAKE LEVER SWITCH. EITHER HANDLE OR FOOT OPERATED..UNPLUG THE SWITCH SEE IF THE LIGHT GOES OUT. IF SO THE SWITCH IS SHORTING OUT..THE NEXT THING IS TO UNPLUG THE PRESSURE SWITCH ON THE METERING VALVE UNDER THE MASTER CYLINDER..UNPLUG THIS SEE IF THE LIGHT GOES OUT..IF SO THE SWITCH IS BAD....MAKE SURE THE MASTER CYLINDER IS FULL OF FLUID...
AS FAR AS THE AIR BAG LIGHT STAYING ON,YOU WILL NEED TO GET THIS SCANNED AT A REPAIR SHOP AND CK FOR THE CODE THAT IS IN THE COMPUTER TO TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS..THERE IS NO WAY I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT THIS ONE UNTILL YOU GET THE CODE FROM THE SYSTEM.. LAST QUESTION,THIS SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THE NEUTRAL SAFTY SWITCH NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED TO START IN PARK OR THE PARKING LEVER TO THE TRANSMISSION IS NOT GOING ALL THE UP IN PARK...JUST THAT OUT..TRY HOLDING THE LEVER ALL THE WAY UP IN PARK AND SEE IF IT WIL LSTART LIKE THIS.IF SO ADJ THE SHIFT LEVER...GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOM...

.

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS