Chevrolet Repair/whats the popping in carborator

Question
I have a 79 scottsdale c10 5.7 L and there's a popping going back through carborator. What should I look for?

Answer
GOOD MORN EDDY,,,IF THIS IS A POPPING SOUND UP THROUGH THE CARBURETOR UNDER ACCELERATION USUALLY SUCH AS A MACHINE GUN POPPING,POP,POP POP, POP,POP,MORE THEN LIKELY THE CAM SHAFT HAS GONE BAD..IT IS NOT OPENING THE VALVES ENOUGH. IT ALSO COULD BE CAUSED BY SEVERAL ROCKER ARMS THAT CAME OFF THE VALVE STEM OR BENT PUSH RODS....IN ANY EVENT I WOULD SUGGEST YOU REMOVE THE VALVE COVERS AND START THIS UP AND WATCH THE MOVEMENT OF THE ROCKER ARMS AND SEE WHICH ONE IS NOT MOVING THE SAME AS THE OTHERS ARE..FIND THE ONE OR ONES THAT ARE NOT MOVING VERY MUCH AND CK TO MAKE SURE THE PUSHROD IS NOT BENT,[NOT LIKELY] OR FOR ANY ROCKER ARM THAT HAS COME OFF. [RARE BUT POSSIBLE.] IF ALL LOOKS GOOD BUT ROCKER ARMS DONT MOVE MUCH,TIME FOR A NEW CAMSHAFT..1977 TO 1980 THIS WAS COMMON. THEY HAD SOFT LOBES...SORRY FOR THE BAD NEWS. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW WHEN YOU START THIS WITHOUT THE VALVE COVERS ON IT IS GOING TO BE MESSY..OIL WILL GET ALL OVER THE PLACE..YOU COULD PUT SOME OLD RAGS DOWN BY THE MANIFOLDS TO CATCH THE OIL..I WOULD ONLY REMOVE ONE COVER AT A TIME..IF THE POPPING IS THROUGH THE EXHAUST SYSTEM THIS WOULD BE FROM A CROSSED IGNITION WIRE OR CRACKED DIST-CAP. [IGNITION PROBLEM]...LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU...TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS