Chevrolet Repair/2003 Trailblazer - Worth repairs?

Question
QUESTION: I have a 2003 Trailblazer with 210k miles, I love this vehicle.  My muffler seems to rusting away from the main pipe, I have temporarily supported it with clothes hanger wire, it does rattle a bit, it's been like this for a year.  Starting the last few days the RPM will jump up 500 or so when I am driving 50-60MPH, is this muffler related or transmission?  I have noticed with backing to the road and shifting to drive it jerks and has even shut the vehicle off before.  There is also an oil leak developing.  Should I cut my losses and buy a new vehicle?

ANSWER: HI JASON,,I GET ASKED THIS QUESTION A LOT. IT IS A TOUGH QUESTION..AS FAR AS YOUR MUFFLER CAUSING WHAT YOU SAID ABOVE. NO THIS WILL NOT CAUSE THIS PROBLEM AT ALL. THIS PROBLEM THAT YOU TALK ABOUT DOES SOUND LIKE A TRANSMISSION PROBLEM. LIKE IT IS STARTING TO SLIP,, THIS WOULD CAUSE THE RPMS TO JUMP AND THEN COME BACK DOWN AGAIN...BUT BEFORE YOU THROW IT TO THE WOLFS. YOU SAY THAT THERE IS A OIL LEAK...WELL IF THE OIL LEAK IS FROM TRANSMISSION OIL,THIS WILL CAUSE THE TRANS TO SLIP IF IT IS LOW ON FLUID. SO I WOULD WARM THIS ENGINE UP TO OPERATING TEMP AND AND MAKE SURE IT IS ON LEVEL GROUND AND CK THE TRANS OIL..IF THIS IS LOW YOU MIGHT OF FOUND YOUR PROBLEM..IF SO TOP IT UP WITH TRANS OIL AND CK THIS WHILE IT IS RUNNING..DO NOT OVER FILL IT IF IT IS LOW..THIS WILL CAUSE JUST AS MUCH PROBLEMS IF IT IS UNDER FILLED..THEN TAKE THIS TO A SHOP AND GET THIS LEAK REPAIRED...BUT IF THE TRANS  OIL IS FULL,THEN YOU MAY HAVE A BAD TRANSMISSION COMING ON. IF SO MAYBE YOU ARE CORRECT TO SELL IT. A REBUILT TRANS WILL COST YOU ABOUT $2500.00..I KNOW, NOT CHEAP...GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND I HOPE THIS GOES WELL FOR YOU,,,TOM....

QUESTION: Thanks for the fast follow up.  At my last oil change the guy mentioned my transmission fluid was a darker color than normal but at the correct level and recommended a flush, those places make there money from additional services so I usually decline.  I will check the level and hope that its a tad low.  Thanks again for the help!

Answer
HI JASON, IF THE OIL LEVEL IS FULL BUT DARK BROWN AND SMELLS BURNED..DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON FLUSHING AND NEW FILTER. THIS WILL ONLY MAKE IT SLIP MORE. THE OLD OIL ACTS AS CLUTCHES. LOTS OF GRIT IN THAT OIL. SO IF YOU FLUSH THIS OLD OIL AND PUT FRESH OIL BACK INTO IT, MORE THEN LIKELY IT WILL SLIP WORSE THEN IT DOES NOW....SORRY FOR THE BAD NEWS. ALSO WOULD YOU RATE MY ANSWER ALL EXPERTS LOOKS AT THIS FOR MY RATING..THANKS AGAIN,,,TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS