Chevrolet Repair/Chevy Cavalier

Question
QUESTION: Hey Tom--

Mike here again.

I am writing about a lady who has a 2005 Cavalier and her
"Check Engine" light just came on.

I checked all the fluids and everything is up to specs.

So, why did this light come on?

What do I check and what can I do to turn this light off?

Thanks.

Happy Holidays!

ANSWER: HI MIKE, WELL IF YOU WANT TO TURN OFF THE CK ENG LIGHT REMOVE ANY BATTERY CABLE FOR 20 MINUTES.  RECONNECT AND THE LIGHT WILL BE OFF..BUT TO CORRECT THIS ISSSUE YOU WILL NEED TO GET THIS COMPUTER SCANNED WITH A SCAN TOOL...ANY SHOP WILL HAVE A SCAN TOOL TO DO THIS. ONCE THEY SCAN THE COMPUTER THEY WILL KNOW WHAT CODE IS IN THE SYSTEM..THIS WILL TELL YOU WHAT THE FAULT IS.. IF THE CAR IS RUNNING OK MORE THEN LIKELY IT IS A EMISSION FAULT CODE. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM..

QUESTION: Thanks.

The car is running fine, so it would be an emission fault code?

What would cause that?

Is it something that I can fix?

Could it be a bad sir filter or PCV valve?

Answer
HI MIKE,,NO ON THE AIR FILTER OR PCV VALVE..YES YOU MAYBE ABLE TO REPAIR THIS YOURSELF... TAKE THE CAR TO A PART STORE THAT WILL SCAN YOUR CAR FOR FREE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT THE CODE IS IN THE SYSTEM AND THEN I WILL TELL YOU WHAT TO LOOK FOR..MANY PART STORES WILL SCAN YOUR CAR FOR FREE, IN HOPES THAT YOU WILL BUY THE PART FROM THEM THAT IS NEEDED...THIS CODE CAN ALSO BE CAUSED BY A PROBLEM WITH THE TRANSMISSION..  THAT IS WHY YOU HAVE TO GET IT SCANNED AND THAT WILL PREVENT US FROM GUESSING... LET ME KNOW...TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS