Chevrolet Repair/Chevy Cavalier 2003 windshield wiper issues

Question
My wind shield wipers stopped working starting first with the passenger side and then later on the drivers side. I just went to the automotive and the guy said that I need to go to a junk yard and get a small piece that connects the motor and the windshield arm. He said that he would put it on once I get the piece but I dont know what the piece is called. He said that my motor is working fine and i can still hear it working but that the arm and the motor are not connected. I'm wondering if something just needs to be tightened up or its a simple fix that i can do myself. I need to be able to get back and forth to my college town which already costs a lot so I would like to know the name of the piece that I need as well as whether I could fix it myself.

Answer
HI FATRINA, OK THIS PART THAT THE GUY IS TALKING ABOUT IS CALLED THE WIPER TRANSMISSION OR LINKAGE..SOMETIMES THE LINKAGE WILL BREAK AND CAUSE THIS..IT IS UNDER THE FRONT COWL.THIS IS THE PIECE THAT IS UNDER YOUR FRONT WINDOW THAT HAS SLITS CUT INTO IT..BUT BEFORE YOU GO TO THE BONE YARD AND GET THIS LINKAGE SOMETIMES THE WIPER ARM NUT BECOMES LOOSE AND STOPS THE WIPERS FROM MOVING..SO WITH THAT SAID LOOK AT YOUR WIPER ARM AND FOLLOW THAT DOWN TO WHERE IT IS ATTACHED TO THE LINKAGE, [THIS IS ALL FROM THE OUTSIDE]SEE IF THERE IS A PLASTIC COVER OVER IT AND PRY THE COVER OFF WITH A SCREW DRIVER. NOW YOU WILL SEE A NUT,GET A WRENCH AND SEE IF THIS IS JUST LOOSE, IF SO MAKE SURE THE WIPERS ARE IN THE PARK POSITION AND WIPER SWITCH IS TURNED OFF AND THEN TIGHTEN THIS NUT..
BEING THAT THIS HAPPENED WITH THE PASS SIDE  AND THEN THE DRIVERS SIDE IT SOUNDS LIKE THE WIPER ARM HOLD DOWN NUTS MAYBE LOOSE...LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS