Chevrolet Repair/timing chain replacement

Question
Hi I was wanting to know if I am replacing the timing chain on my 2000 chevy 5.7 with the distributor in the rear of the motor do I need to drop the oil pan I think this motor is the 2500 or 3500 series

Answer
HI BOBBY,THE CORRECT WAY TO DO THIS IS TO DROP THE PAN..HOWEVER A LOT OF TECHS JUST LOOSEN THE PAN TO DROP IT ENOUGH TO SNEAK THE TIMING CASE COVER OFF WITH OUT REMOVING THE OIL PAN..THIS IS PROVIDING THE OIL PAN GASKETS ARE RE-USEABLE AND DO NOT BREAK APART. SOME TECHS JUST REMOVE THE FRONT COVER WITHOUT DROPPING THE PAN AND THEN CUT THE FRONT COVER AT THE LOWER TANGS AND PUT IT BACK ON LIKE THAT WITH SILICONE SEALER...YOUR CHOICE I GUESS..HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM.....

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS