Chevrolet Repair/2002 Chevy Suburban Power seat problems

Question
QUESTION: The driver power seat will not move forward or reverse but will move up and down. I can't give you any information other than that because we just bought it. I DO hear the motor when moving it up and down. However I DON'T hear the motor when trying to move it back or forward. I know the motor could just be bad, but I can't even find that part by doing an online search. (possibly calling it the wrong name?) But before I run out and try to find a new pw seat motor/assembly, what else should I check and where would I find it. One other thing I just thought of, could it just be a bad 'dirty' connection at the button? If so, how would I check this?

Thanks so much for your time.
Laura

ANSWER: HI LAURA, WELL YOU MAY HAVE A BAD SEAT SWITCH, BAD MOTOR OR CONNECTION PROBLEM... THE ONLY WAY TO CK THIS WOULD BE TO REMOVE THE SWITCH FROM THE SEAT OR GET AT THE MOTORS HARNESS AND CK WITH A TEST LIGHT FOR POWER [THIS CKS FOR POWER OUTPUT]CK FOR POWER AT THE MOTOR THAT WORKS WHEN YOU MOVE THE SWITCH.THIS WAY YOU WILL HAVE A IDEA AS TO WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR..THIS SEAT MAY HAVE 2 TO 3 MOTORS THAT CONTROL THIS..SO YOU WILL NEED TO GET UNDER THE SEAT OR UNBOLT THE SEAT FROM THE FLOOR AND FLIP IT BACK WITHOUT UNPLUGING IT TO MAKE IT EASY TO CK FOR POWER AT EACH MOTOR WHILE MOVING THE SWITCH THAT DOES NOT WORK [IF YOU ARE NOT FLEXABLE] AND MOVE THE SWITCHES WHILE YOU CK FOR POWER AT THE MOTOR WITH YOUR TEST LIGHT AT THE PLUG WIRE..MORE THEN LIKELY THE MOTOR HAS FAILED FOR ONE OF THE SEAT OPEARTIONS..THIS IS FAIRLY COMMON. A TEST LIGHT IS A WAY TO JUST CK FOR POWER. IT HAS A GROUND WIRE THAT YOU GROUND TO A WELL KNOW GROUND SURFACE AND THE POINTED SIDE TO PROBE INTO A WIRE OR HARNESS TO CK FOR VOLTAGE..IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A TEST LIGHT YOU CAN USE A VOLT METER,YOU JUST NEED TO CK FOR POWER AT THE MOTOR THAT IS NOT WORKING,IF NO POWER IS THERE THEN MORE THE LIKELY THE SWITCH IS BAD,IF POWER IS THERE THE MOTOR IS BAD..LET ME KNOW HOW THIS WORKS OUT FOR YOU,,GOOD LUCK,,,TOM..

QUESTION: Hi Tom,
Thanks so much! I will definitely keep this information on hand. I did find that 2 of the wires had been unplugged, however it still didn't work. Not having the tools or the 'flexibility' to remove the seat, I decided to try the 'ol starter trick. I tapped the front seat motor (the one in the aluminum casing - I have 3 motors, or so it looks), with a hammer. It WORKED! I am able to move it forward and backwards. I do hesitate moving it back tho, because my problem was I couldn't reach the pedals. Since I'm the main driver I just set it where I needed it. Hopefully this was the 'fix'. Either way, I can now worry about fixing it later if it needs replaced, at least I can drive it now!
Thanks again!
Laura

Answer
HI LAURA,YES THE OLD STARTER TRICK WORKS SOMETIMES. MORE THEN LIKELY THERE IS A FLAT SPOT ON THE MOTOR ARMATURE.. THIS MAY WORK LIKE THIS FOR A WHILE LONGER YOU NEVER KNOW..GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND IF YOU NEED MORE HELP LET ME KNOW. AS YOU LEAVE THIS SITE WOULD YOU MIND RATING MY ANSWER.I TRY TO KEEP A HIGH PROFILE WITH THIS SITE.. THANK YOU ,,TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS