Chevrolet Repair/timimg on 01 4.3L vortec

My Haynes manual tells me to set TDC on #4 piston before removing the old timing chain and gears. I have never heard of this, I have always set #1 to TDC. My question is ... If this is correct "why" the book gives no explanation and if it is not correct then just wanted to make sure that can continue with the #1 @ TDC.

Thank you for your time, any light you can shed on this matter is greatly appreciated.

I recently had to do it my self with out a haynes manuel i set tdc at. And had zero problems i again didnt look at the haynes and also i was just setting the distributer not the timming chain it may have a little to do with the stroke of the motor and a lot to do with the roller rockers and cam and lifters a question im only guessing at im old school i would have set it at 1 anywayif you have any problems with the way haynes does it the best thing todo is to go with what you know

Chevrolet Repair

Any question not the best with diesal but great with all gas vehicles

10 years restoring and working on all types of makes and models foreign and demestic

Marine corps. Mechanic 8 years