Chevrolet Repair/van

Question
Tom went  home last nite and put scanner on van   said  random misfire   cleared code    than tried to start  it back fired  im assuming from starter fluid laying in there from the morning when we tried that    shut off key a tried again  started ran ruff had to feather gas pedal tio keep running after 20 sec or so its perfect again   let it run for 10 min   shut off  re started  perfect again  like nothing was ever wrong  same exact as the month before when had problem    is it possible the pump   or regiulator is goin   bad   or maybe  an electric issue like crank sensor   thanks russ

Answer
HI RUSS,THIS SOUNDS TO ME LIKE A BAD FUEL PUMP OR WIRING ON TOP OF THE TANK WHERE IT GOES INTO THE TAK SENSDING UNIT IS CORRODED. A FUEL PUMP REGULATOR WOULD NOT CAUSE A NO START BUT IT WOULD CAUSE A LONG CRANK BEFORE IT STARTS..ONCE RUNNING IT WOULD BE OK..AS FAR AS THE RANDOM MISFIRE THIS MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF LEAN CONDTION,NO FUEL OR LACK OF WHEN STARTING TO RUN IT MAY SET THIS CODE #..IF YOU HAD A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE TO CK THE PRESSURE THIS WOULD HELP YOU FOR SURE..SHOULD HAVE ABOUT 45 TO 50 LBS. IF YOU COULD GET THIS WHERE IT DOES NOT START AND PUSH DOWN ON THE CK VALVE ON THE FUEL RAIL TO CK FOR GAS YOU KNOW FOR SURE WHAT IS GOING ON.. LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS..GOOD LUCK TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS