Chevrolet Repair/1994 Caprice weird Electrical Issue

Question
I have a 94 Caprice 4.3L V8.

Few weeks ago I left work, went to start my car, the lock only on the drivers side began fluttering up and down and then stayed down! There was a full tank of gas but the fuel gauge went well above the fuel "full" mark and stayed. I started the car and not 5 feet from where I was parked it died, I'd say when I hit the gas. Its cranks and cranks maybe turns over 1 out of 5 times trying and immediately dies.
Towed it home, figured it was the battery, don't ask why. I bought a new one however and also replaced the fuel pump. Drove it around today for about an hour the drivers door lock made some noise and the fuel gauge, again, well above full.
Also, the fuel gauge itself and the drivers door lock are both grounded in the same spot. Checked it, nothing out of the ordinary!

Answer
HI RACHEL,YOUR FUEL GAUGE AND DOOR LOCKS ARE NOT ON THE SAME CIRCUIT AND ARE NOT GROUNDED AT THE SAME LOCATION. ALSO IF YOUR CAR CRANKS OVER AND OVER ,,I DO NOT FEEL THE BATTERY WAS THE ISSUE. AS LONG AS THE ENG CRANKS OVER THE BATTERY IS GOOD. NOT STARTING WHILE CRANKING COULD BE A FEW THINGS. FUEL OR IGNITION..WHY DID YOU REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP..DID SOMEONE CK THE FUEL PUMP AND SAY IT WAS BAD. IT MUST OF BEEN BECAUSE AFTER YOU REPLACED IT THE CAR STARTED,YOU SKIPPED AS TO WHY THIS WAS REPLACED. YOU MAYBE CORRECT IN THINKING THIS IS A GROUND PROBLEM.
CK ALL THE CONNECTIONS UNDER THE HOOD THAT GROUND FROM THE BATTERY,GROUNDS ON THE ENGINE TO CHASSIS..FAULTY GROUNDS WILL DO SOME STRANGE THINGS..THE FUEL GAUGE IS USUALLY GROUNDED INSIDE THE TRUNK BY THE DRIVERS SIDE TOWARDS THE REAR SEAT AREA..CK FOR A WIRING HARNESS IN THIS SPOT AND MAKE SURE ALL CONNECTIONS HERE ARE CLEAN AND TIGHT..LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES AND GET BACK TO ME. GOOD LUCK,,TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS