Chevrolet Repair/1997 Chevy Astro 4.3

Question
When I turn the key, it tries to start but won't fire. I usually can get it started with a spray of starting fluid. Once I get the engine running, it continues to run just fine. As long as I start it up again within 8-9 hours, it starts with no problems. But if I wait much longer than that, I have to use the starting fluid spray to get it going again. I was told it could be the fuel pressure regulator. Is that correct?

Answer
HI LINNEA,YES IT COULD BE THE FUEL PUMP REGULATOR, BUT USUALLY IF YOU KEEP CRANKING THE ENGINE LONG ENOUGH IT SHOULD STILL START AFTER CRANKING AWHILE..RESON BEING IS IF THE REGULATOR IS BAD IT WILL BLEED OFF THE PRESSURE IN THE MAIN SUPPLY LINE TO THE INJECTORS..BUT ONCE BUILD BACK UP AGAIN AS I SAID IT SHOULD START..THE OTHER PROBLEM IS POSSIBLE BAD FUEL PUMP STARTING TO ACT UP..YOU REALLY NEED A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE TO CK THIS..WOULD LIKE TO SEE ABOUT 40 TO 45 LBS WHEN CRANKING..IF REAL LOW TIME FOR A NEW PUMP..ONLY REPLACE WITH A GM PUMP..HAVE HAD MANY PROBLEMS WITH AFTERMARKET PUMPS.SO TRY TO CRANK THIS FOR A WHILE AND SEE IF IT WILL START,IF SO REGULATOR IS BAD,FOR THE HECK OF IT, REPALCE THE FUEL PUMP RELAY WITH ANOTHER RELAY IN THE MAIN FUSE BOX WITH THE SAME KIND OF RELAY..SOMETIMES THESE RELAY'S WILL DO THIS AS WELL.. IF NOT MAYBE TIME FOR A PUMP. NEED MORE INFO GET BACK TO ME...GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS