Chevrolet Repair/1998 Chevy Camaro

Question
QUESTION: So if I choose to go down further I don't have to remove the rocker arms or springs I can just unbolt it and go on down to the valves. Thanks. I am also seeing a puddle of oil under the car and I can't figure out where it is coming from. Thanks.

ANSWER: HI SEAN, YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE THE ROCKER ARMS ENOUGH TO SLIDE THE PUSH RODS OUT OF THE ENG AND REMEMBER WHERE EACH ONE CAME FROM..MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALSO CLEAN INSIDE. ONCE THERE OUT OF THE WAY REMOVE THE HEADS DO NOT TOUCH THE VALVES OR SPRINGS.THEY WILL STAY ON THE HEAD...I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO SAY ABOUT THE OIL LEAK UNLESS THIS HAPPENED WHEN YOU WERE TAKING THE ENG APART ???GOOD LUCK TOM.

QUESTION: Hey I put the car back together. The only good thing that came of it was the oil pressure came back up. I can still hear it knocking. I usually change the oil at 3000 miles on this car. It has just about 4000 miles on it. Should I change the oil then put the sea foam in or should I just dump it in with the old oil for a gamble. Everyone is quoting the lifters at 1400 or more and that is not a real dealer. Because you have to take the intake off unbolt the manifold drain the coolant and do ither things. Then you have to pull the head to do it.

ANSWER: HI SEAN,,I AM CONFUSED YOU SAID YOU PUT THE CAR BACK TOGETHER ??? SO I WILL ASSUME YOU MEAN YOU DID NOT TAKE IT ALL APART AND YOU ARE GOING TO TRY THE TOP ENGINE CLEANER..CORRECT ??? IF THIS IS THE CASE I WOULD FOR SURE DRAIN THE OIL AND PUT FRESH OIL BACK INTO IT WITH WHAT EVER CLEANER YOU ARE GOING TO USE. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS AND DO AS IT SAYS  AND HOPE FOR THE BEST..IF YOU NEED TO DO THIS JOB IT IS INVOLVED..IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME..YOU ARE PROBABLY VERY HANDY BUT IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THIS IN THE PAST I WOULD THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA THAT SOMEBODY THAT HAS DONE THIS HELP YOU OUT. JUST SO YOU DO NOT GET OVER YOUR HEAD..ONCE YOU TAKE THINGS APART VERY FEW SHOPS WILL WANT TO LOOK AT THIS...KEEP THAT IN MIND...I DO NOT KNOW WHY TAKING THE VALVE COVERS OFF AND CHECKING THINGS OUT WOULD CREATE MORE OIL PRESSURE....THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS UNLESS THE OIL IS THICK BECAUSE IT WAS COLD OUT..AS FAR AS THE PRICE GOES I WOULD THINK $1100 $1300 PARTS AND LABOR..CK WITH A CHEVY DEALER AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY JUST AS A IDEA.. ALSO THE LAST THING I WILL LEAVE YOU WITH IS [[[MAKE SURE THIS IS REALLY A LIFTER NOISE YOU ARE HEARING AND NOT SOMETHING DOWN UNDER SUCH AS A ROD KNOCK OR BEARING PROBLEM]]]YOU SAID YOU CAN STILL HEAR A KNOCKING NOISE,YOU DID NOT CHANGE ANYTHING DID YOU ??? ALSO A LIFTER NOISE WILL BE A TICKING NOISE NOT A KNOCKING SOUND..LET ME KNOW,,,TOM

QUESTION: Yeah sorry I did not go down further. I put new grommets and a new valve gasket on. I checked with a Chevy dealer they said 1500 2 shops told me that. That is only for the passenger side valve lifters only. I have never torn an engine apart before my dad has and he said it is a pain. I want to do this but I am afraid I will mess something up. I found out what was leaking. The transmission pan is leaking not sure why but I am going to change the gasket and filter. The gasket and filter was changed once at 50000 miles it is now at 167000 miles. If I take the valve cover off can I start the motor to see what happens or is that a bad idea. How can I tell if it is a rod or bearing. When I shift into drive and hit the gas it starts knocking. Even when it coast it knocks. It knocks as soon as you shift into drive or other gears. And it is in the passenger side what ever it is. Thanks.

Answer
HI SEAN YOU CAN START THE ENG BY JUST PUTTING THE VALVE COVER ON WITH NO BOLTS OR JUST PUT 2 OF THEM IN TO HOLD IT IN PLACE.IF YOU START IT UP WITH NO COVER ON IT IT WILL PUSH OIL ALL OVER THE PLACE. BIG MESS..AS FAR AS ME TELLING YOU HOW YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A LIFTER NOISE AND ROD NOISE I CANT..I NEED TO HEAR THIS MYSELF..BUT I WOULD SUGGEST YOU TAKING THIS CAR TO A GOOD SHOP IN YOU AREA AND JUST HAVE THEM DIAGNOSE THIS NOISE FOR YOU...A LIFTER NOISE IS A HIGH END TICKING SOUND..A BEARING OR ROD KNOCK IS A LOW ENGINE RAPPING SOUND..SUCH AS RAP RAP RAP..YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH ALL OF THIS WORK AND NOT HAVE IT BE THE LIFTERS...ALSO THAT PRICE SOUNDS A BIT HIGH TO ME.LET ME KNOW,,,TOM..  

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS