Chevrolet Repair/1998 Chevy Camaro

Question
QUESTION: Good news I talked to a napa repair center he told me that he might be able to make the valve quite down by adjusting it. He said he has done a few LS1 motors and said that sometimes he can just adjust it to quite it down. He said he is going to listen to it first if that is the problem he will proceed if not then he will let me know what it is an then he will give me a price. But he said if it is a valve he will charge 300-400 to do it which is cheap. He said he has Sony many LS1 motors which is a good thing.

ANSWER: HI SEAN,,THESE VALVES CANNOT BE ADJUSTED IT HAS POSI STOP. THIS MEANS YOU TORQUE IT TO THE CORRECT SPECS AND THAT IS THAT..THIS IS NOT LIKE THE OLDER SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINES THAT YOU COULD ADJUST..IF THIS IS A LS MOTOR THERE IS NO VALVE LASH FOR THIS MOTOR.IT HAS ROLLER ROCKERS AND LIFTERS...ASK HIM HOW IS HE GOING TO ADJUST THEM ??? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW... !!!!!

QUESTION: Ok I will ask him. He said the same thing that you just posted. But he said their is a way to adjust it to quiet it down. I will ask him tomorrow before he does it. Thanks for the info.

ANSWER: HI SEAN,YES PLEASE LET ME KNOW,,I HAVE HEARD OF A FEW BACKYARDERS REPLACING THE ROCKER ARM OR PUTTING A LONGER PUSH ROD IN..NOT A GOOD IDEA....MAKE SURE THIS GUY HAS DONE THIS BEFORE AND FIND OUT IF HE WILL STAND IN FRONT OF HIS WORK NOT BEHIND IT !!!! I WILL ASSUME HE HAS HEARD THIS AND HE FEELS IT IS A LIFTER NOISE OR ROCKER ARM....LET ME KNOW,,,  TOM

QUESTION: No he has not seen the car yet but he has seen the same symptoms that I was giving him. He told me he has worked I a lot of LS1 motors that have done what I am explaining. He said he will listen to it first then he will let me know what he can do for me. He says he guarantees his work. I had a friend that has a Pontiac firebird and he recommended me to go to him since he does good work. What happens if he places longer push rods in. I am just curious. Thanks for all the info. I will let you know how I make out tomorrow.

Answer
HI SEAN, A LONGER PUSH ROD MAY HARM THE CAMSHAFT IN THE LONG AND IT MAY HARM THE ROCKER ARM OR STUD IN THE HEAD, AND IF IT GETS COCKED ON THE ROCKER ARM SHAFT AND MAY BEND THE VALVE..I HAVE HEARD OF ADJUSTABLE PUSH RODS,,MAKING THEM LONGER TO TAKE UP THE SLACK WHICH IS CAUSING THE TICKING NOISE...I WOULD NOT DO IT....NO WAY.....ESPECIALLY ON A ENGINE THAT HAS HIGH MI..LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES,,GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS